Creative aspects of web design

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I started learning web design when I was 12, with virtually no resources. Naturally then, I took to the web. I learned whatever I could from whoever would be kind enough to write a tutorial, w3schools being a huge help. That being said, I am facing the biggest flaw with learning we design by yourself; there is no one to teach you the creative aspects. What colors go with what, what font goes where. I learned excellently how to do things but not how to use them.

So x10, where can I learn the creative aspects of web design?

Last edited:

Elesarr

Reaction score
While there is certainly an intuitive aspect to creativity one can still learn what colors go with what and what fonts are suited to website design.

here is a great resource in the form of a blog: http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/

check it out! ;)

here are some other resources:

color schemes for the web: http://www.colorcombos.com/

fonts schemes: http://www.webfontlist.com/ also http://www.dafont.com (my fav)
http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/anatomy-web-fonts#

once you understand the basics then you will discover it becomes easier to be creative.

hope this helps some!

Last edited:

galacticgraphix

Reaction score
That's what I love about X10 Hosting. Not only can you host your website free of charge . . . you have a whole world of experts sharing insight and resources. Thanks to all of the above for providing links to information!! It is invaluable and much appreciated!!!

Cindy :biggrin:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I don't mean learning creativity, I mean learning the medium. There are many aspects of creative design that simple tutorials do not teach you. Just like an artist needs to learn to draw faces, and abstracts, ect. I need to learn to use certain color combination, fonts, layouts. There is definitely an element of learning to apply your web design knowledge as well as an element of ingenuity and creativity.

Elesarr

Reaction score
right, I got that Twinkie hence the links I posted for you. the first link I posted has links to other things like CSS and Xhtml and more - those are some of the tools of the creative.

then its just a matter of you trying and experimenting and getting feedback as well - just like any artist ;)

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
For color, you could Google/Wiki "Color Theory".

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I can make an entire course about this but I'll try to be short.

The biggest mistake that many beginners (including myself before I started learning web design) do is relying on their taste. It's not enough if you think that something looks good because you're not the one who can make that decision, your visitors are. They are your best critique and you depend on them so try to make something they would like. That means you have to decide your target group and make the design that will suit them. If you are making a corporate web site you can't make it funny and colorful. It has to be serious so client can feel like they can rely on it.

As you can see, you have to have a reason for everything you decide to do with your design. That is the most important lesson you can learn. In design, everything has it's meaning and purpose and you (as a web design) are the one to give that purpose. Remember that.

As a web designer you have to learn to use all the tools available. Layout, colors, fonts, ... they are all tools of web design that you have to use to send a message to your visitors, clients, customers ... Every color has it's meaning and feeling. Web designer has to know that so he can use it in his advantage as a tool to present something. That's why color theory is a science of it's own.

For example, read this excellent article about red color. Now would you consider using it for a boring tech website that has to look neutral so nothing can affect it's visibility? Didn't thinks so :) Try imagining PHP Manual website with red theme. That won't work well, won't it?

As I said earlier, you have to have a reason for everything you decide to do with your design. Once you understand that you'll newer have any doubt about what color and font you have to use. Until you do keep asking yourself:

Why did I used that color or font?
What does that color or font means?
How do my visitors react to it?

If you have an answer for all those questions, then you picked a right ones ;)

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you for the guidelines. I guess the only way to really be taught application of web design is through experimentation. I will follow the links and your advice :)

gptsven

Reaction score
sure you can learn web designing, but it takes some time, About 1 year ago I asked myself the same question, would I ever put up a decent design. and now, I did just that for webhost-choice.com you need to test out, webhost-choice.com has had 4 totally other layout styles, other colors etc before I got this final design. But anything I do now turns out great.

Id be happy to help you out a bit with your site, design, promotion etc etc if you want. interesting things can be discussed with me

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Every color has it's meaning and feeling. [...]

For example, read this excellent article about red color.
Much of peoples' response to and interpretation of color is cultural. The article touches on this point, but then quickly drops it when discusses red's "meaning". The psychology and neurology of visual perception are quite active areas of research, but I don't have many references analyzing which responses are learned and which are innate (color theory is concerned with innate responses; The Joy of Visual Perception covers the topic more broadly).

Two more for the list (though I can't speak to their quality):

Lastly, if you're in to graphic design, you've got to read Tufte. His The Visual Display of Quantitative Information is simply superb.