Using MySQL

Wizet

Reaction score
Why for some reason when I try to set a password in MySQL (desktop version) it comes out as 1045 - Access denied for user '****'@'localhost' (Using password:yes) I do not use yes as a password.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Why for some reason when I try to set a password in MySQL (desktop version) it comes out as 1045 - Access denied for user '****'@'localhost' (Using password:yes) I do not use yes as a password.

Privacy reasons - imagine if a user saw your password being displayed there. Yes just means it was using one.

The problem is it's not allowing it to log in, so either the passwords wrong, or some other issue. Most of the time I've seen, it's an invalid password or username, so check those and make sure they're both correct.

vol7ron

Reaction score
Livewire's right. I'm curious if there might also be a permission issue. By desktop, are you using Windows or Linux?

Wizet

Reaction score
Privacy reasons - imagine if a user saw your password being displayed there. Yes just means it was using one.

The problem is it's not allowing it to log in, so either the passwords wrong, or some other issue. Most of the time I've seen, it's an invalid password or username, so check those and make sure they're both correct.

I'm just trying to make a new password.

Livewire's right. I'm curious if there might also be a permission issue. By desktop, are you using Windows or Linux?

I am using Windows.

808solutions

Reaction score
that is interesting i think the problem my be server side talk to your host about it, because i rememer having to use a php script to upload my sql database and i got the same type of error but it turns out i had no privaleges to my user to even be attempting to access MySql, hope u figure that out if not reply and i'll give more suggestions

ascs-admin

Reaction score
i have the same problem now.. and its more than a week now..

Unable to establish connection to MySQL
1045 : Access denied for user 'ascs'@'chopin.x10hosting.com' (using password: NO)

can anyone tell me where to fix this one?

whitebus

Reaction score
If you are using the desktop edition, the most common problem I've come across is the 'localhost' part. check your user table to make sure the host is either % (i.e. any host) or localhost. It may be that when you set the user up were user@mycomputer. Using the command line client and logging in with the root account:
show databases; (to list all databases)
use mysql; (to connect to the core database)
select * from user; (to view your user info)
update user set host='%' where user='youruser'; (so youruser can access from anywhere)
select * from db; (to view your user access to the databases)
you should see a line where
host=%, db=yourdatabase, user=youruser and a bunch of priveleges=Y
if not:
grant all on yourdatabase.* to 'youruser'@'%';

you can do all of the above the the MySQL Query Browser and the MySQL Administrator as well.

If password=no, then your password field is empty. (which on the x10hosting database is, I believe, not allowed) Create a new database user with a password.

mcnigelmcgruff

Reaction score
If you are attempting to connect to x10's servers, you need to allow remote MySQL access using cPanel. I have tried this and have not gotten it to work. By default, cPanel denies all remote access to MySQL as a security feature. When you login, it checks three things: username and password; and whether that username is authorized to access MySQL from the IP you are accessing it from.