What Is VMWARE ? pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
Can anyone tell what is VMWARE , i have been hearing this for sometime pls post those who have used it

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
VMWare is Virtual Machine software. It allows you to run a second OS inside of your primary operating system. It's virtualized so that it behaves as a separate PC.

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
To clarify, that's VMware Workstation Smith6612's talking about. Technically, VMware is the company that makes VMware Workstation; they have a bunch of other virtualization products too that I won't get into because it's almost certainly Workstation you've heard about and are interested in.

--- Mr. DOS

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
SO will i be able to install any OS in my loacl pc without any problem

steronius

Reaction score
mostly yes.

VMWare has several products, some free, some not free.
I believe "Server" and "Player" are free, but not "Workstation" nor "Fusion".

I could recommend to you trying http://www.virtualbox.org/ as it is free. You can always graduate to VMWare. Also there is Microsoft Virtual PC for free, has a simpler interface, but I dont find it as good as VirtualBox and definitely nowhere near VMWare.

A hyperviser is the server or host. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervisor

A virtual machine is the guest operating system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine

Last edited:

palmettoexpress_ceo

Reaction score
As a side note for everyone....if you ever install VM Server (1.0.x) on a laptop....even if it is a dual core with loads of RAM, it will still lock up....at least if the Host is running Vista....

I do a lot of software 'smoke' testing (i.e. testing before production) on VM's and have to use VMware Player or VirtualPC to get them to work right....

Thats just my 2 cents.... :)

wongers

Reaction score
you cant use VM Ware for MAC OS? I thought you could load any OS known to man on it! lol baring in mind im only using it for Ubuntu lol

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
you cant use VM Ware for MAC OS? I thought you could load any OS known to man on it! lol baring in mind im only using it for Ubuntu lol

You *COULD* load Mac OS into a Virtual Machine if you know what you're doing and you do it right. There's also that iffy action of messing with Apple's Agreements though.

rthfashion

Reaction score
Mac OS does not enjoy anyone messing with their software so they try to make it difficult to do anything except for it's intended purposes. They also make it hard to run Mac OS X on a clean PC, but it is not impossible. As for Virtualization, that too is difficult but you could Google search how to do it. I am sure it is not impossible.

In any case, you can run any Windows and Linux OS'. It is mostly used by programming companies to see if their programs work in other OS.

I would suggest starting out with VirtualBox then moving on to VMWare Workstation. In any case VirtualBox can run Windows in Linux if you need to run a Windows program that does not work with Wine.

mcnigelmcgruff

Reaction score
Just a suggestion: start with VMWare Server (but only version 1.0.9 or before). I have used all of VMWare's products (yes, even ESX and VirtualCenter), as well as VirtualBox and Virtual PC. VMWare is easily the best. If you get VMWare Server before version 2.0, it looks exactly like VMWare workstation. If you work with it for a while and find you like it, you can easily upgrade to the more difficult 2.0 or above, or you can purchase VMWare Workstation. When they say that you can't run Mac OS X in any virtualization software, they are pretty much right. Running OS X in VMWare can be done (I've got an 10.5 vm), but it is really difficult and you have to do some pretty severe modifications to the OS. Mac OSes expect to find an EFI environment, but any PC or virtual PC will present a BIOS environment, because that is something that IBM-compatible PCs expect. It is a technicial problem, not anti-pirating by Apple.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
You nailed the main reason why installing OS-X is difficult. Though higher end PCs have support for EFI (my gaming PC will support it given I flash the board with new software), we're still using the age old BIOS setup. There are people out there who would like to see all PCs move to EFI.

Last edited:

hernandez9039

Reaction score
VMware software provides a completely virtualized set of hardware to the guest operating system. VMware software virtualizes the hardware for a video adapter, a network adapter, and hard disk adapters. The host provides pass-through drivers for guest USB, serial, and parallel devices. In this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.