Asp.net problems?

cripps

Reaction score
I have read the asp.net tutorial and I basically copy and pasted everything into my Visual Studio 2008 files. It runs fine when I run within VS2008, but when I upload the helloworld.aspx and code file (both named just like in the tutorial with the same code) it won't load. Internet explorer says "page cannot load", while mozilla gives me this error:

"XML Parsing Error: no element found
Line Number 1, Column 1:"

I have other pages on my website that load fine.

I do not get a asp.net error, its like the page is there but can't be loaded.

Is there a problem with asp on the servers right now? Or is it something on my end?

http://tbx.x10hosting.com/HelloWorld.aspx is the location of my asp files

Also, does it matter if I use .net 3.5 framework or should I use 2.0 or another older version?

Submariner

Reaction score
Check the HelloWorld.aspx page and look to see if there is any whitespace before the first '<'. There shouldn't even be any empty lines. Visual Studio and Microsoft tools may handle this by ignoring the white space but Mono might not.

Good luck.

James

cripps

Reaction score
Check the HelloWorld.aspx page and look to see if there is any whitespace before the first '<'. There shouldn't even be any empty lines. Visual Studio and Microsoft tools may handle this by ignoring the white space but Mono might not.

Good luck.

James

There wasn't any white space before the first <... I even opened the files in notepad+.

I think I am just going to switch to php in the meantime, it seems to have better support. I just wish visual studio allowed me to build php websites.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
yes, php has better support.

Since we are linux based there's no native asp.NET support, we only support asp.net through the mono project, and from what I've understood the support is best for asp.net up to version 2.0 currently, although some things from later versions might work.

Last edited: