Redirecting after a name change

lydia09

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I hope no one minds me posting 2 threads in succession, I thought it would be rude to lump two distinct things into one thread, hopefully this isn't as well. :)

Anyway, I've changed my main domain name, and I was wondering, how can I redirect traffic that goes from my old pages to my new ones?

Like, for example
lydiascarletswan.x10hosting.com/Index.php redirects to lydiascarletswan.com

where the domains are different. I looked in the redirection page, and it doesn't seem like there's a facility for this. Would anyone mind pointing me in the right direction, please?

Thanks,
Lydia

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Look for redirection in Cpanel

Not going to help. She gave up the original (sub)domain name. She does not control it.

What she should have done is kept the original and then added the dot com as a parked domain.

lydia09

Reaction score
Thanks lemon_tree,
I've done that; it doesn't seem like you can direct from one domain to another. Am I wrong about that?

EDIT: Hi descalzo, you and I posted within seconds of each other. You're right, I probably should have used a parked domain instead. The only reason I care about this is for search engines. Considering that my site is little, though, it probably won't be too much of an issue. I just want to make sure the transition between the domain names is as smooth as possible.

Thanks,
Lydia

Last edited:

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
All I can suggest is that you update any links to your site wherever you can and eventually Google will catch up.

marshian

Reaction score
Isn't it possible to regain your old domain (lydiascarletswan.x10hosting.com) and use it as a secondary domain?
You could then just change the document root for that domain and display a "This site has moved"-page. Include a link to the new site and search engines should follow it. Other than that, you can also use a Location-header to automatically redirect the user and mod_rewrite to rewrite any request to the moved-page.