Images won't show up after name change

lydia09

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I just changed my main domain from:

lydiascarletswan.x10hosting.com

to

lydiascarletswan.com

and now my images won't show up. I have not moved them from the places they were before on my site, and the paths to them are the same except for the domain name change. Can anyone please explain to me why the images aren't showing up?

Thanks,
Lydia

lydia09

Reaction score
Never mind, I got it.

For future reference, if anyone's interested, Windows puts upper case extensions on things and messes up spaces, so especially if you're using Windows, make sure your extensions are the case you're expecting them to be, whether upper case or lower case, and don't use spaces in any names.

Hope that helps someone!
Lydia

marshian

Reaction score
I just want to clarify something. Windows is case-insensitive when it comes to files. The file "abc.def" is the same as "ABC.DEF". This is part of the filesystem Windows uses. However, *nix uses different filesystems. Most of them are case-sensitive. The file "abc" is NOT the same file as "Abc". Since x10 uses *nix based servers, they also employ one of those case-sensitive filesystems.
The webserver itself (Apache) is case-sensitive as well. Thus, a request for "site.com/a" can give completely different results from "site.com/A".

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
The webserver itself (Apache) is case-sensitive as well. Thus, a request for "site.com/a" can give completely different results from "site.com/A".

Sorry, wrong.

Apache has the same case sensitivity as the underlying operating system when it comes to mapping URLs to files. Apache on Windows is case insensitive when it comes to URLs.

That is, site.com/TEST.html returns the same results as site.com/test.html on a Windows box.

Internally, before the URL is mapped to a file, Apache is case sensitive, if you are using mod_rewrite for example.

Last edited:

marshian

Reaction score
Internally, before the URL is mapped to a file, Apache is case sensitive, if you are using mod_rewrite for example.

That's what I meant, if Apache was internally case insensitive it's impossible to expect case sensitive behaviour.