Wordpress plugins slows down your website

ata.online

Reaction score
In the last couple of days, i have had issues with the speed at which my site is loading: very slow.

I have realised that having too many plugins slows down your site. I deactivated all plugins and seen a massive improvement in speed. Also, i searched on google and read on a blog that if you install wp-super cache plugin, this will help alot with your site loading much faster.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
In the last couple of days, i have had issues with the speed at which my site is loading: very slow.

I have realised that having too many plugins slows down your site. I deactivated all plugins and seen a massive improvement in speed. Also, i searched on google and read on a blog that if you install wp-super cache plugin, this will help alot with your site loading much faster.

It is true that caching makes it faster and sometimes much faster as it serves HTML instead of generating PHP each time, however, caching also uses high CPU power on the server when it creates those HTML files, which will trigger a suspension when used on free hosting.

And yes, plugins do make your blog slower and how much slower depends on the plugin. For every plugin, the server needs to fetch more PHP files and process more PHP. Some plugins have a lot of code while others have a few lines.

Last edited:

ata.online

Reaction score
I had 30 active plugins before and now only 10 essential ones like All in one seo, Akisment, WP-Super cache etc.
I didn't realise that caching would cause high CPU usage. I am paid hosting for now.
Do you mean users on free hosting should not use caching as the loading time is quite slow anyway?

ata.online

Reaction score
What i found surprising is that before i had over 30 plugins and now only 3.
I first activated Article directory and Easy adsense plugins, but soon as i activated 'Google xml sitemap' that considerably slowed down my site.
Some say this is essential for quick indexing of your site. I am now trying to deactivate that, but cannot as it is very slow at loading at the moment.

How many plugins do you guys have activated on average? It seems some plugins tend to use more cpu usage than others.

Also, i read on a blog that to add plugin codes manually would be better for website speed.
Maybe just copy the code from your wp dashboard and paste it in your main widgets

infopage

Reaction score
I have about 39 active plugins now at Wezee's blog and my site speed is fine! If you want to know which ones and why just ask and I'll list them in this thread.

I also wanted to mention that along with Wp SuperCache you might want to install WP Widget cache as well in order to increase speed signicantly:wink:

as it serves HTML instead of generating PHP each time, however, caching also uses high CPU power on the server when it creates those HTML files, which will trigger a suspension when used on free hosting..
..WP SuperCache has two options for generating the files as you'll get more details on once you install it

cheezo

Reaction score
It is true that caching makes it faster and sometimes much faster as it serves HTML instead of generating PHP each time, however, caching also uses high CPU power on the server when it creates those HTML files, which will trigger a suspension when used on free hosting.

And yes, plugins do make your blog slower and how much slower depends on the plugin. For every plugin, the server needs to fetch more PHP files and process more PHP. Some plugins have a lot of code while others have a few lines.

why will it trigger when no rules has been violated?

ata.online

Reaction score
I have about 39 active plugins now at Wezee's blog and my site speed is fine! If you want to know which ones and why just ask and I'll list them in this thread.

Yes, interested to know which ones you have activated. I assume most of the popular ones used by most wordpress users.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
why will it trigger when no rules has been violated?

Becuase it did violate the rules: 2. High Resource Usage Policy
Resources are defined as bandwidth and/or processor utilization. x10Hosting may implement the following policy to its sole discretion: When a website is found to be monopolizing the resources available x10Hosting, reserves the right to suspend that site immediately. This policy is only implemented in extreme circumstances and is intended to prevent the misuse of our servers. Customers may be offered an option whereby x10Hosting continues hosting the website for an additional fee.

http://x10hosting.com/forums/news-announcements/99095-resource-usage-monitoring.html

Supercache can very easily trip the high resource usage script. That said, on paid I've had zero issues with it, so my guess is it's only /just/ breaking the limits set for resource usage on free, because if it was BADLY breaking them, it'dve broken it bad on paid too and it didnt.

Edit: Forgot to mention, High Resource Usage is not a permanent/zero tolerance suspension, so should you happen to trip it, you can unsuspend it yourself the first two times. After that, staff need to, but it's NOT permanent.

Last edited:

infopage

Reaction score
Yes, interested to know which ones you have activated. I assume most of the popular ones used by most wordpress users.
  1. Add Post Footer: Automatically add the ad code, related post, optional custom paragraph or technorati tags to the end of every posts. All options can be fully customized though Add Post Footer tab in the option panel within wordpress admin. It's also possible overide the setting for specific post by adding custom field key and value. Please refer to the tips and addtional info provided at the Add Post Footer Page.
  2. Akismet: Akismet checks your comments against the Akismet web service to see if they look like spam or not. You need a WordPress.com API key to use it. You can review the spam it catches under "Comments." To show off your Akismet stats just put <?php akismet_counter(); ?> in your template. See also: WP Stats plugin.
  3. All in One SEO Pack: Out-of-the-box SEO for your Wordpress blog. Options configuration panel | Upgrade to Pro Version | Donate | Support | Amazon Wishlist
  4. Apture: Apture makes it easy to add contextual images, videos, reference guides, links, maps, music, news, documents and books to your blog to create a connected media experience that keeps readers engaged on your site.
  5. Blog Copyright (by BTE): Simple plugin to inject copyright statement into blog footer. Configuration options are here.
  6. Category Page: Use pages as category archive header, or list some posts from a category into a post/page.
  7. CommentLuv: Plugin to show a link to the last post from the commenters blog by parsing the feed at their given URL when they leave a comment. Rewards your readers and encourage more comments.
  8. Configurable Tag Cloud: A tag cloud plugin for WordPress to give you more flexibility with the styling of your tag cloud.
  9. Do Follow: Removes the evil nofollow attribute that WordPress adds in comments.
  10. Easy Contact: Easy Contact is a simple, semantic contact form that utilizes the Sandbox design patterns. Insert using [easy-contact]. A plaintxt.org experiment for WordPress.
  11. Executable PHP widget: Like the Text widget, but it will take PHP code as well. Heavily derived from the Text widget code in WordPress.
  12. Featurific for Wordpress: This plugin provides an effortless interface to Featurific, the featured story slideshow.
  13. Fixed Social buttons: Let your visitors make your site popular by sharing your pages thanks to colorfull and attractiv social buttons.
  14. Global Translator: Automatically translates a blog in 48 different languages by wrapping four different online translation engines (Google Translation Engine, Babelfish Translation Engine, FreeTranslations.com, Promt). After uploading this plugin click 'Activate' (to the right) and then afterwards you must visit the options page and enter your blog language to enable the translator.
  15. Google XML Sitemaps: This plugin will generate a special XML sitemap which will help search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing and Ask.com to better index your blog.
  16. Kramer: Implements Technorati inbound links to a post as Pingbacks. Also provides a template function to display general inbound links.
  17. Link to Me Textbox: This plugin will set up a "link to me textbox" with HTML code in your blog posts and increase your search engine rankings.
  18. LinkWithin: Displays recommended stories and associated thumbnails from your blog
  19. Newsletter: Newsletter is a cool plugin to create your own subscriber list, to send newsletters, to build your business. Before update give a look to this page to know what's changed.
  20. OnlyWire for WordPress: Easily post to millions of sites with one button.
  21. p2pConverter: This plugin allows you to easily convert a post to a page and vice versa through an easy to use interface. You may either click on your Manage tab in Administration, and you will see a Convert option under Posts and Pages sub-tabs, or click Convert while editing a post or page in the bottom right side bar. A p2pConverter role capability prevents unwanted users from converting pages (i.e. only Administrators and Editors have this ability), which can be adjusted by using a Role Manager plugin.
  22. Post Teaser: Post Teaser generates a preview or "teaser" of a post for the main, archive and category pages, with a link underneath to go to the full post page. It includes features to generate a word count, image count, and an estimated reading time.
  23. PS Auto Sitemap: Auto generator of a customizable and designed sitemap page.
  24. RAP Bank: [rapbank] shortcode for in-post and sidebar product listings. For more details on RapBank go here...
  25. Related Websites (by BTE): Add your posts to the Blog Traffic Exchange and add Links to related websites throughout the blogosphere. Configuration options are here.
  26. runPHP: Allows you to put PHP code into a post and have it eval()'d.
  27. Skysa Appbar: Skysa appbar settings plugin
  28. Subscribe To Comments: Allows readers to receive notifications of new comments that are posted to an entry. Based on version 1 from Scriptygoddess
  29. What Would Seth Godin Do: Displays a custom welcome message to new visitors and another to return visitors.
  30. Word 2 Cash: This plugin will turn your words into cash
  31. WordPress.com Popular Posts: Shows the most popular posts, using data collected by WordPress.com stats plugin.
  32. WordPress.com Stats:Tracks views, post/page views, referrers, and clicks. Requires a WordPress.com API key.
  33. Wordpress Download Monitor: Manage downloads on your site, view and show hits, and output in posts. If you are upgrading Download Monitor it is a good idea to back-up your database first just in case. You may need to re-save your permalink settings after upgrading if your downloads stop working.
  34. Wordpress Gravatars: Makes use of Gravatars and MyBlogLog Avatars, places Gravatars, OpenAvatar, Wavatar, Identicon, monsterID or MyBlogLog Avatars in the comments section. Uses the comment authors email to display their Gravatar. It also gives the user an Author Profile picture, based on his or hers Gravatar. Developer blog at this site.
  35. WordPress Mobile Edition: Show your mobile visitors a site presentation designed just for them. Rich experience for iPhone, Android, etc. and clean simple formatting for less capable mobile browsers. Cache-friendly with a Carrington-based theme, and progressive enhancement for advanced mobile browsers.
  36. WP Google-buzz: Beautiful Google buzz integration to wordpress + admin options (Settings -> WP Google-buzz) + 14 diff button images + mouse over effects + Shows Counter. Automatically displays Google Buzz button for every post and page. Google Buzz is shaping up to be an interesting new way to share content with your Gmail friends, so why not have a button for sharing blog posts/pages to the service? Google has released new Google Buzz APIs and this plugin includes those official Google Buzz APIs. Try it now & enjoy. Happy buzzing!
  37. WP Hide Post: Enables a user to control the visibility of items on the blog by making posts and pages selectively hidden in different views throughout the blog, such as on the front page, category pages, search results, etc... The hidden item remains otherwise accessible directly using permalinks, and also visible to search engines as part of the sitemap (at least). This plugin enables new SEO possibilities for authors since it enables them to create new posts and pages without being forced to display them on their front and in feeds.
  38. WP OnlyWire Auto Poster: Autosubmits a excerpt of a posts to Onlywire when the post published
  39. Yah00-ans: This plugin allows you to show Yahoo Answers posts as a widget.
Well that's it so far. My most used plugin (aside from the ones that work automatically) is Apture by far, you might wanna try it out:wink:

p.s.
not really using Yahoo-ans right now but plan to get back to it.

ata.online

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for sharing your list of plugins. It must have taken you a while to type all that up.

Anyway, there are some popular ones which i use that are essential like Akisment, All in One Seo. I also have the Onlywire plugin which is quite useful.
I don't know why, but if i try to include all those plugins it will slow down my site but yours seems to be fine.

Thanks.

infopage

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for sharing your list of plugins. It must have taken you a while to type all that up.

Anyway, there are some popular ones which i use that are essential like Akisment, All in One Seo. I also have the Onlywire plugin which is quite useful.
I don't know why, but if i try to include all those plugins it will slow down my site but yours seems to be fine.

Thanks.
Actually, I just copied it from my WP Admin Plugin list, edited it a bit, then pasted it here:tongue:

..as for your slow page loads, it could be the theme itself. I say this because after testing different themes through a search engine robot viewer I've noticed that different areas of the design show up first which can cause slowness. Check through a search engine crawl viewer(just goggle it to find the many free ones!) and see with different themes. As for testing different themes there is even a plugin for that:wink:

This is of course if you're not going to switch to paid and use Supercache and widget cache together..

BTW,
What's the site url that is loading slowly??

Last edited:

ata.online

Reaction score
Actually, I just copied it from my WP Admin Plugin list, edited it a bit, then pasted it here:tongue:

..as for your slow page loads, it could be the theme itself. I say this because after testing different themes through a search engine robot viewer I've noticed that different areas of the design show up first which can cause slowness. Check through a search engine crawl viewer(just goggle it to find the many free ones!) and see with different themes. As for testing different themes there is even a plugin for that:wink:

This is of course if you're not going to switch to paid and use Supercache and widget cache together..

BTW,
What's the site url that is loading slowly??

Yes, you maybe true on that point. Actually i am on paid hosting at the moment and using the wp cache plugin aswell. My site is loading ok and is quite fast on Google chrome. The site url is in my signature.

Thanks.

Last edited:

infopage

Reaction score
Yes, you maybe true on that point. Actually i am on paid hosting at the moment and using the wp cache plugin aswell. My site is loading ok and is quite fast on Google chrome. The site url is in my signature..
There's a difference among wp cache, wpsupercache, & widget cache. Try using the last two together:wink:

Man, a site like yours should be a goldmine for google with all that content! In fact I'm using it right now in another tab searching for a good article to put on my blog and it's kinda cool seeing my logo on your Feedjit Traffic widget(I think I need to add that one to my site)8)

ata.online

Reaction score
There's a difference among wp cache, wpsupercache, & widget cache. Try using the last two together:wink:

Man, a site like yours should be a goldmine for google with all that content! In fact I'm using it right now in another tab searching for a good article to put on my blog and it's kinda cool seeing my logo on your Feedjit Traffic widget(I think I need to add that one to my site)8)

Hi,

1/ i assume you are on paid hosting as you don't have the supercache or widgetcache on your list of plugins. Do you mean if i was on free hosting and using supercache/widgetcache my site would load at the same speed if not faster than on paid hosting? You have to bear in mind how this might affect the cpu usage.

2/I was browsing on your blog and you mentioned you were looking for an article to embed in your blog. Did you find any useful ones?

3/ I see you don't have the feedjit on your site. Did it slow down your site.

Last edited:

infopage

Reaction score
Hi,

1/ i assume you are on paid hosting as you don't have the supercache or widgetcache on your list of plugins. Do you mean if i was on free hosting and using supercache/widgetcache my site would load at the same speed if not faster than on paid hosting? You have to bear in mind how this might affect the cpu usage.

2/I was browsing on your blog and you mentioned you were looking for an article to embed in your blog. Did you find any useful ones?

3/ I see you don't have the feedjit on your site. Did it slow down your site.
No I'm not on paid hosting with this one, but I believe if supercache and widget cache were installed on a paid hosted site there would be no triggering of suspensions because the cpu usage limitations are much higher. I didn't install them on this blog because I its loading speed seems to be fine already, but if I do install it i'll definitely go paid first just in case..

..and yes, I did find a good article dealing with the upcoming Father's Day and it's up now and I plan to use more in the future so thanks for putting up a good free content resource:wink:

As for Feedjit, I've never used it on any site before...but i'm thinking about it(and i'll let you know how it goes) because it just looks cool to me and it gives visitors a chance to see where other visitors are coming from - although i do already have a somewhat similar widget in my footer now

BTW,
I just added another plugin called Odiogo that gives your blog a voice by adding a "Listen Now" button to your blog so your readers can listen to your posts and download podcasts and i just added feedjit8)

Last edited:

ataarticles

Reaction score
No I'm not on paid hosting with this one, but I believe if supercache and widget cache were installed on a paid hosted site there would be no triggering of suspensions because the cpu usage limitations are much higher. I didn't install them on this blog because I its loading speed seems to be fine already, but if I do install it i'll definitely go paid first just in case..

..and yes, I did find a good article dealing with the upcoming Father's Day and it's up now and I plan to use more in the future so thanks for putting up a good free content resource:wink:

As for Feedjit, I've never used it on any site before...but i'm thinking about it(and i'll let you know how it goes) because it just looks cool to me and it gives visitors a chance to see where other visitors are coming from - although i do already have a somewhat similar widget in my footer now

BTW,
I just added another plugin called Odiogo that gives your blog a voice by adding a "Listen Now" button to your blog so your readers can listen to your posts and download podcasts and i just added feedjit8)

Hi,
1.How did you come across odiogo?
It is pretty cool. I did install then activated it. I signed up at the website. But i cannot find the 'menu options' to input my feed id. However, i can see my feeds here:
http://podcasts.odiogo.com/ataarticles/podcasts-html.php

All i see on the plugin details are:

Odiogo Listen Button
Give your blog a voice! Add a "Listen Now" button to your blog so your readers can listen to your posts and download podcasts. Free Sign up.

Deactivate | Edit
Version 2.5.7 | By Odiogo | Visit plugin site

There is no link for menu options. I tried uploading it via ftp but no difference there. I have the widget on sidebar activated, but cannot find button on site
Any suggestions?

2. Regarding the article which you found on my site, i would appreciate if you have a link back to my site as you mentioned that is where you copied it. I assume most article directories expect a link back to their site.

3. You mentioned you have a similar widget to feedjit in the footer section of site. I don't see it. All i see is anchor text of twitter, digg etc

Last edited:

infopage

Reaction score
There is an Odigio options panel in your WP admin and it asks for your Odigio Feed ID which you have to sign up for here => Odigio Signup

I put a linkback in the form of the 'written by' line which goes to ataArticles.com url and the similar widget I spoke of is in the middle section of my footer called 'revolver map'...

You might not be able to view at the moment -although you can try- because I am personally/manually transferring the whole site to Hostgator right now as we speak so I can use more plugins and avoid downtime and slow loading,etc.

UPDATE: transfer complete!

Last edited:

ataarticles

Reaction score
There is an Odigio options panel in your WP admin and it asks for your Odigio Feed ID which you have to sign up for here => Odigio Signup

I put a linkback in the form of the 'written by' line which goes to ataArticles.com url and the similar widget I spoke of is in the middle section of my footer called 'revolver map'...

You might not be able to view at the moment -although you can try- because I am personally/manually transferring the whole site to Hostgator right now as we speak so I can use more plugins and avoid downtime and slow loading,etc.

UPDATE: transfer complete!

Did you find the odiogo plugin via wordpress dashboard?

You mentioned that you have link under 'written by' but i don't see it. All i see is links that point back to guest author and author's links. I don't see any: 'written by'.

So now you're on hostgater, not using x10hosting anymore? The x10premium hosting was ok over the past month when i joined.

infopage

Reaction score
Oops! It doesn't say 'written by' it says 'Author:' and it goes to the particular authors page on ataArticles which is a do-follow link. However I just made it a revision so it contains a live link to the main atatArticles home page as well...you can see an example at the end of the following post: 3 Good Reasons to Use a Hard Laptop Case :cool:

Odiogo was something I had on another site some time ago which I purposely took down for a while and I found it from seeing it on another site at the time, but I don't remember that particular site:confused:

I will still use x10,but only for smaller sites which do not require too many pages, plugins, or php calls...

ataarticles

Reaction score
Oops! It doesn't say 'written by' it says 'Author:' and it goes to the particular authors page on ataArticles which is a do-follow link. However I just made it a revision so it contains a live link to the main atatArticles home page as well...you can see an example at the end of the following post: 3 Good Reasons to Use a Hard Laptop Case :cool:

Odiogo was something I had on another site some time ago which I purposely took down for a while and I found it from seeing it on another site at the time, but I don't remember that particular site:confused:

I will still use x10,but only for smaller sites which do not require too many pages, plugins, or php calls...

Hi, thanks for that. I did noticed that whenever i clicked on Guest Author it was linked to:
http://wezeemall.info/author/guest-author/
which confused me a little as i didn't see my site link. But the changes are much better.