Google Wave

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
As you may have read, Google Wave has recently opened to public and no longer requires an invite. But what happened to it?

Back when it first came out and invites started going around, everyone was crazy for an invite and some invites even went up for auction. Quickly, this buzz seems to have gone away and it became a disappointment.

The performance was horrible back then, though I just visited recently and Google definitely improved Wave a lot, but is it too late to bring the reputation back up?

There hasn't been much news about Google Wave and no one seemed to care much that it was now public.

Google Wave has a lot of potential, but after one year, Google is making progress, but doesn't seem to be quite there yet.

What do you think will happen with Google Wave? Will it be successful? Or will it get no where?

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think it'll be successful. It's an excellent service and more then excellent platform for many other things. It's too early to say anything but I guess people will discover how useful it can be. On the other hand I know a lot of people that were interested in Wave don't even know it went public so we have to wait for everyone to find that out.

On the other hand, Wave is a collaboration based service and a lot of people never used something like that. People don't think they need a new way to connect with their friends. There's a ton of social networking services, email and IM services that even work on their mobile devices. Why should they start using Wave then? This is a common opinion with people not familiar with Wave. Once they discover what it can actually do Wave would definitely become more popular.

stardom

Reaction score
It is another way for Google to dip into a market. or a niche. Many people who use Google for things like gmail, docs, and some of the other features really have no need for it. If you do not use email to connect with anyone anymore, then why add the buzz? I myself had no need for Google Wave.

sshayndell12

Reaction score
Google Wave is an online software application product from Google, which Google described as "a new web application for real-time communication and collaboration.It was first announced at the Google I/O conference on May 27, 2009.It is a web-based service, computing platform, and communications protocol designed to merge e-mail, instant messaging, wikis, and social networking.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes I know what it is, the question is how many people actually need something like that. I know I do but what about you?

chewett

Reaction score
its intresting, and something very useful to play around with, But will i use it? Probably not.

It allows easier collobaration, and the maps intergration makes it very cool, with the vote, But the people who i would want to collaborate with, wouldnt understand how it works -_-

And the people who know how to use it, wouldnt bother to faff around with something that can be more easily done by IM + google docs

If i want to collaborate i use Gdocs and IM because i can talk to them, share and work on the same document.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I haven't used it too much even though I've had it since the closed Beta days where you needed an invite, but it is an interesting concept that I hope gains more momentum.

apoorav

Reaction score
What is google wave? Can any body tell me of what use is it?