Suspend or Hibernate?

• Suspend

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Hibernate

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters
D

dWhite

Which feature do you use or prefer to use, suspend or hibernate?

I use both according to what is going to happen.

A short time away = suspend, for faster recovery.

A long time away = hibernate, to conserve battery power.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
It really depends on what is going on. If I know I'm going to be traveling with a laptop and don't need to use it for a half hour, I will put it in suspend mode. I only use Hibernation however when the battery gets too weak to work on.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Suspend. I use a Mac, so not only does it save power, it is also fairly fast to power up again.

~Callum

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Hibernate uses zero power ... Well, same as if it's powered down.

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
It depends on conditions for example my desktop computer is powered by a ups device and its battery is almost dead now and my system takes extra time to hibernate so when electricity goes, I suspend my os and let it be suspended untill electricity comes.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It depends on conditions for example my desktop computer is powered by a ups device and its battery is almost dead now and my system takes extra time to hibernate so when electricity goes, I suspend my os and let it be suspended untill electricity comes.

My system is powered by a UPS.

Hibernate, then turn the UPS off until power is restored. Easy.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score

Replace the UPS battery :) . If you run them through a full charge/discharge cycle once a month or two, the battery will last quite a while.

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Back on the original topic I'm doing Hybrid Sleep, which is a fancy way to say it does both suspend and hibernate at once - if power doesn't cut while it's asleep, it restores as though all it did was sleep.

If power dies, like it did this morning for 20 minutes, it reloads it from the HDD as though it had been hibernated. Doesn't always work but hey, I can still dig it :)

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Back on the original topic I'm doing Hybrid Sleep, which is a fancy way to say it does both suspend and hibernate at once - if power doesn't cut while it's asleep, it restores as though all it did was sleep.

If power dies, like it did this morning for 20 minutes, it reloads it from the HDD as though it had been hibernated. Doesn't always work but hey, I can still dig it :)

Thanks, for telling the definition of hybrid sleep.I thought that when I suspend/sleep my computer it accidentally hibernates too.

Last edited:

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
I prefer to Hibernate since its like shutting down; doesn't use any power. Even though it takes longer to recover than Suspend/Sleep, I prefer to have it take a bit longer to startup than have it running all day (even if its low power)

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
In ubuntu when I hibernate my system I get not enough swap error.If I am hibernating it with mozilla firefox 3.6.8 running.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Solution: Give it more swap!

Linux isn't very good at suspend :/

~Callum

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Livewire prefers to suspend.

~Callum

On x10, heck yeah!

On home system, Hybrid Sleep. It does both Suspend and Hybernate - if the system would happen to lose power while it's resting, then it restores from the copy it wrote to the HDD, as though it was Hybernated. If it doesn't, it restores from ram as though it had only been Sleep'd.

phoenixreviews

Reaction score
I generally suspend, unless I won't be using the computer for more than a few days. Not too concerned about the power (things like your Fridge use more power overall). The fast resume time is fantastic, basically means I can walk up, open the laptop lid and by the time I sit down it's ready to use Google :)