Dark Meldoy Designs

catz154

Reaction score
I had an old layout from before, I liked it a lot, but I wanted to change things up a bit. I wanted to get a cleaner and more professional look. I stuck with my previous color theme, as it seems to work with me. All I have done as of right now is the home page, with all dead links. Just wanted review as far as the layout, coding, and such. Let me know what you all think! Any and All feedback is wanted! 8)

Darkmelody Designs

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Some thoughts:

Please center it on the page! It looks extremely weird where it is now.

Clean up the logo.I understand the theme of the site, but when I can barely read what it says,there's a problem. Maybe an Olde English font without that much... craziness.

Center the navigation in that box. It's a few pixels below the middle. Also, either decrease the navbar (opaque bar) size, or increase the font size.

It's also a huge site. I have a horizontal scrollbar.. NEVER a good thing. I think it's your footer image... So applying

Code:
overflow:hidden;

To that element would work awesome. :)

Also incorporate the nav bar into the other boxes. The others have rounded edges, and the nav bar looks out of place just floating there..

Make the "Hello!" part text! Or, add an alt tag. Otherwise people w/o images (disabled people) or people without browsers that support images (lynx, etc), will not be able to see that welcome.

Other than that, it looks pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result!

Last edited:

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Good use of colour, clean layout and otherwise very pleasing to the most eyes.

However...
Web pages are not a fixed size canvas, it's a classic mistake made by designers with an Art College background.

It's not just the size of the viewers screen but also what web browser and even what operating system they are using all play a role in how your work is eventually displayed.

Have included some links below that should be usefull, with the release of IE9 (and almost certainly another Firefox version) that feature more support for the new CSS3 every designer out there needs to be as comforatable with a keyboard as they are a pencil.

Dynamic Drive CSS layouts -
Embedded Fonts
CSS trick auto resize background image

PS: for a quick look at 'Embedded Fonts' action see GlevumX

funhouse0772

Reaction score
looks very nice! I like that your history is on the front page.

I do agree with other posts that it should be centered. Links not working yet? I would like to see more!
I am a graduate of the Colorado Institute of Art. Determination is the key to being a successful artist.... Don't ever give up or loose confidence when times are tough!

I look forward to seeing the finished product!

mosimages

Reaction score
Nice...;)..it should be centered...I agree that.. i think it in progress

catz154

Reaction score
@leafypiggy
thanks for that advice, I didn't notice the horizontal scroll bar at all. I think I fixed that problem though.
@cybrax
thanks for the links, I am better with the design than the coding at the moment. Also, I am a year or so behind on the the coding world.
@funhouse0772
I agree with the centering also, just can't quite figure out how to do it yet. No links working yet, was planning on finishing up some pages for it, but still haven not had the time!
@mosimages
I agree, it is still definitely in progress.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Looks excellent! I really like the logo/banner.

Like the others, I recommend centering the content and I still see the horizontal scrollbar.

Simply add the following to the CSS for body to remove the horizontal scrollbar:

Code:
Your CSS for body would look like this:

Code:
body {
    margin:0px; 
    padding:0px;
    background-color:#516503;
    font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
}
Or you can remove this from the CSS for container:

Code:
width:1600px;
A width of 1600 pixels exceeds the width of many resolutions and therefore overflows on the window.

Why do you want your favicon in Base64? It's faster and easier to serve a regular image. You can use something like http://ico.bradleygill.com/ to convert an image to an .ico file though most browsers support regular png/jpg for a favicon.

Good luck! :)

Last edited: