How old are you?

How old are you?

• Total voters

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Sorry John...

Ah I think I feel bad for making such a post. Don't worry about it gaptrast, only typing away these days, and didn't think of the reprocusions (mind my spelling) against other users.

lol at writing the 100-200 part. I know I asked for it heh.

Nice thread you have here...

I'll add something,

There are probably more people under 18 within this forum,
but there are definitely people in the real world from 19-100 that outnumber them :)

...What a stupid thing of me to say.

Last edited:

rlodge

Reaction score
Under 18... I find it frustrating that so-called "adults" think that they know more than you because you are younger than them. Just because they're older, doesn't mean they know everything. In many cases I know more than them about the web and computers. Oh well.

Ahhhhhhh Youth.........You're "Ten Feet Tall and Bullet Proof"! Please try to remember a few things.

1. Computers ain't life and life ain't computers
2. You think you know a lot because you know computers but you don't know life. Adults have lived life a lot longer than you and have experience.
3. Those older than you have already been where you are going. They know.

I'm not saying you're stupid, dumb or incompetent. I'm just saying, give them a chance. You may know computers like an ace but their generation created them. You know how they work but they know how to build them (and I don't mean a barebones kit!!!). They have lived through rough times and smooth and, if you're smart, you will know how to take a few pearls of wisdom from them to help you in the future.

We're not all "stoopid old people" but we have been there, done that. For the most part, we only want what is best for you, whether you can see it at the time or not. Not all of us are jealous of your prowess with a laptop. Many of us just want to see you become successful so take what you need from that and be respectful of what you don't.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

BTW....I don't feel Like an "Old Man" as Carl6969 thought I did. I'm 47 years young and could still keep up with the youngsters that I have met in the military. Yes I did 20+ years in the US Army and I have seen where they have gone. They are my heroes but, compared to how I served and came up in the military, they are wimps.

Carl6969, this isn't a dig at you. Just a clarification that I am 47 years old but not "old". Thanks for reminding me. Hope you had a great holiday season (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year) from Killeen, TX. Not far from you at all.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
@Rlodge:
I did not mean to offend with any remarks I made about "old man" and if I inadvertently did so I apologize.
I am 50 years young myself and am still quite capable of doing anything I was able to do at 18.
Belated happy holidays to you and all yours.
Come to Brady sometime and I will buy you a cup of coffee.
(I live in Calf Creek but do most of my work in Brady)

whitebus

Reaction score
Um -- if you find any golf balls in that river with grassy patches that they call the Conestoga Golf and Country Club that look like they're from around 1985, they're mine. Just sayin'.

lol Ok, I'll send them along. Unfortunately, I don't do much golf any more... I've taken up discgolf you see. Have you lost any frisbees? ;)

maxxaathal48

Reaction score
Voted in poll. Im 25 years old on this year. i dont really like to ask or tell ages u know becoz age doesn't matter in any relationship. :smile:

rlodge

Reaction score
@Rlodge:
I did not mean to offend with any remarks I made about "old man" and if I inadvertently did so I apologize.
I am 50 years young myself and am still quite capable of doing anything I was able to do at 18.
Belated happy holidays to you and all yours.
Come to Brady sometime and I will buy you a cup of coffee.
(I live in Calf Creek but do most of my work in Brady)

Believe me when I say "No offense taken". My reference to "old man" was in the context of my perception of "older than many in the forums".
Thanks for the holiday wishes and I return them to you and yours.
Hopefully we will be back in Brady in the future. We (my team and I) used to train soldiers at the National Guard Armory there from time to time. Would like to get back there again.

Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score
I am under 18...

Turned 16 in August :S I love computers

Last edited:

jmannz

Reaction score
Under 18... I find it frustrating that so-called "adults" think that they know more than you because you are younger than them. Just because they're older, doesn't mean they know everything. In many cases I know more than them about the web and computers. Oh well.

I feel the difference between 'under 18' and the 'so-called adults' is that many (not all) 'so-called adults' are willing to admit they do not know it all and also are willing to learn from the 'under 18'. But the 'under 18' will post what you have, and in my mind, showing they may not be willing to learn.
Oh well! I guess I just placed myself into your category by posting this.

Oh yes, 58.

darkpunkcalob

Reaction score
17 as of May 2011.

I manage the website and security of a small business in Indiana, and am the "to go guy" for any technical problem, computer or other wise, for most of the high school, including the faculty and students (mostly the faculty actually).

Age != Experience.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Make that age != ability. Or even experience != knowledge. I know a lot of people who have nearly my level of computer experience (which is approaching forty years far too quickly) who seem never to have learned anything along the way, or at least have never added to their repertoire since they first learned "all they needed to know". It's possible to accumulat, say, twenty years of experience in more than one way -- you can glean twenty years of accumulated knowledge and skills, or you can work with essentially six months' worth forty times over. The latter approach is not the exclusive domain of idiots or the uninterested -- anyone who thinks they know "all they need to know" is kidding themselves and can quickly go from hotshot to dinosaur. Never stop learning.

darkpunkcalob

Reaction score
I dont believe you got the gist of what I was trying to convey. That was mostly my fault, I just read my own post, and can definitely see how its message could be misconceived.

By Age != Experience, i was implying that adults (the majority as it would seem to me) do not spend most of their time learning and refining skills that relate to anything than his/her immediate line of work, and still believe that they know more about "everything" simply because they have lived longer.

For instance, my mother's main duty in her line of work is organising spreadsheets. She can make MS Word and Spreadsheet do back flips, but this is about the extent of her "higher" skill set, mostly because the rest of her time is spent watching television and relaxing. "Higher", implying a marketable skill of moderate or great value.

Just to quickly cover your (essellar's) post itself, I never once mentioned that I (or any teenager) could ever reach a state of knowing everything. A famous man once said: "I know only one thing: that I know nothing." I believe that time spent expanding ones knowledge and skills not age, is a more reliable scale of experience.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just trying to point out the difference between experience and ability -- call it being a bit pedantic if you must. Experience comes with time, even if it isn't a sufficient indicator of ability. And don't judge all of us old folks by a few uninterested exemplars -- there be polymaths among us as well. (In fact, I know a fair few young 'uns who haven't a single marketable skill to their credit who probably spend a lot more time flopped in front of a television than your mother. It's not a disease of age.)

denzil

Reaction score
Strange poll for crossfire, since crossfire shouldn't be for one liners :)

I'm 20. Strange to see so many under 18's here.