Cannot upload file

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanno

Reaction score
I keep getting the message: "file transfer failed" when the file transfer is at the halfway point.

Is there some problem with FTP at the moment? Or why is this happening? :confused:

Im on the Chopin server if you need to know.

Last edited:

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
How large is the file you are uploading? Also, in the connection transcript or log, is there any further details that go with this error?

kanno

Reaction score
The file is about 35.5MB in size.

Error: Could not write to transfer socket: EPIPE - Local endpoint has been closed
Response: 552 Transfer aborted. Disk quota exceeded
Error: File transfer failed after transferring 16,958,656 bytes in 105 seconds

Seems the problem is my diskspace... but I thought I didn't have a limit on that!

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
There is a limit on the amount allowed via FTP, however it is not restricted on the cPanel file manager. You should be able to upload your file with no issues using that.

kanno

Reaction score
Ok thanks... I guess the problem is kinda sorted but not being able to upload with FTP is a pain. What kind of limit is on FTP?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Had to leave a lengthly suspension message, I apologize, but I did have to fit in all the separate violations for the not properly redistributed nor properly licensed download you have for IBM Lotus Symphony.

IBM's terms indicate it can only be redistributed on physical media to family members, which yours is not. You have to request permission before you can redist it on the web.

Their EULA also stipulates that with those individual copies on physical media, the EULA notice that I was reading must be included. It was not.

And finally, their EULA explains this:
Code:
e. Licensee does not 1) use, copy, modify, or distribute the Program except as expressly permitted in this Agreement;

The EULA actually pretty much disallows -all- modifications to the installer as well, as I'm interpreting it. The sad news is even without this, the first two violations are -way- against their EULA and thus the account had to be suspended.

Try to take more care with other peoples work in the future; I can appreciate that you were remaking installers (
Dylan's .deb Installers
When im not working on PhotoFiltre LX I like to create .deb installers. Here is a small selection which will expand slowly.
), but you -do- need to make sure you're actually obeying the rules set forth by the original developer.

kanno

Reaction score
I have it accepted by IBM and they are fine with what I'm doing. I got a personal thank you email from one of their developers and links to all their stuff is posted on their own forums!

There is no reason to have my account suspended.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Anna forwarded that to me via PM; unsuspended and should be good to go again.

Apologies on the mis-suspend there; to be honest you're actually the first I've seen to actually -have- the written permission from the company in question to do this.

kanno

Reaction score
Ok I suppose ye get alot of users who upload illegal files and make excuses to attempt to get away with it. Have no worries... Im not one of them, Im a loyal and well behaved user! :)

One last thing, I would appreciate if somebody could answer me about the FTP limit... what kind of limit is on FTP? and is it reset at the end of each month or something?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe it's just a filesize limit since most of the folks who were uploading the illegal movies were doing them en-mass in FTP with a queue; other than the individual file-size limit there's no additional limitation that I know of.

kanno

Reaction score
Ok thanks! I will bear that in mind in the future! Consider this thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.