Should I get Windows 8?

supanut200042

Reaction score
Since Windows 8 is now in milestone 3 stage and is scheduled for release around late 2012, I want to ask for your opinions. Should I get Windows 8 when it's released? Hint I'll be buying a new PC for my next birthday present which will fully support Windows 8.

henk506673

Reaction score
here is the deal with all new teachnology. it is never fully developed. it may be fit for releace but it will always have bugs. now back to your question. should you buy it when it is releaced, no. plainly stated for all the reasons above. now that is only if you are a non tchnical person and do not know how to fix bugs your self or report them. if you can do all of that then go ahead and get it.

henk506673

Reaction score
how would you know just out of curiosity and if you are a inside source will it be avaiable on msdnaa or is that a question where if i ask you would need to kill me

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Wait..its still beta.Security can be an issue.But only to get a feel of the GUI ,yes, can be used.
But beware of the viruses..those which can affect Win7 can do for Wind8 as well as framework is quite similar/same.

supanut200042

Reaction score
Guys, what I ment is the RTM version, not the beta or RC.
A while ago I had just look at a screenshot of the demo. It's pretty cool, but it may be a bit difficult to use as I'm use to the start menu.
If I'm going to get it, I may try it out in VMware, and after a while I may install it real on my new PC. My current PC will surely not support Windows 8 since it lacks some of the cool features like Intel VTX that might be required by Windows 8.

trakz94

Reaction score
If you are buying a new PC pre-loaded with Win8 when it is released and like to keep up with technology then go for it !

Expect lots of driver updates and system instability while they work through the public beta they call RTM :confused:

I'll be getting it on pre-order to save some pennies, but then I'm a masochistic tech who loves shinies... especially when you can swish them with your finger... :biggrin:

remy87x18

Reaction score
One thing about technology is that it doesn't really matter when your buy it, it's going to be outdated in a couple of years. Therefore, I don't wait. If I want thing, I just go ahead and buy it. Moreover, Microsoft usually provide the update driver or service pack to patch it.

Jennacide

Reaction score
Winblows... ahem, I mean Windows 8 is optimized for touch screen devices and will have a GUI similar to Windows for Portable Devices. Microshaft... dang, I did it again, hehe, MICROSOFT says you can hook up a mouse and keyboard to it, but you'll struggle with getting used to the interface as well, it's designed for touch screens.

I don't know about you, but I don't have the cashola to even think about purchasing a touch screen for my computer and frankly, I still really LOOOOOOVE XP even though I'm running 7... Will I upgrade? HELL NO! Ever? Probably not. Why? I never trust MS to produce anything worth while until at the very least the first SP has been released. And even then it's still a hit-or-miss situation.

Here's a few pics and info on Winblows chode 8...

Talk about craptastic
For those of you who can't do your own Google images search

remy87x18

Reaction score
I didn't know Window 8 is optimized with touch screen. Will see how that goes once it comes out in 2012.

Darkmere

Reaction score
I did a search on screenies for Win 8 and I have to say I am not looking forward to it. It looks like a Personal Computer Sized Windows Phone. IMHO it looks more like it is for entertainment and not actual work. It is optimized for touch screen, can you imagine buying a comp with it already installed and trying to program with a touch screen till you went and got a keyboard and then from what I was reading it is not a physical keyboard friendly system.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
You can completely disable that functionality of it, and make it work just like a normal PC.

Should just stick with 7, tbh.

supanut200042

Reaction score
Nice discussion guys, I really appreciate your opinions.
From looking briefly at your opinions, I would say that I would try Windows 8 in a virtual machine for around 30 days, then I would install it on my new PC.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Winblows... ahem, I mean Windows 8 is optimized for touch screen devices and will have a GUI similar to Windows for Portable Devices. Microshaft... dang, I did it again, hehe, MICROSOFT says you can hook up a mouse and keyboard to it, but you'll struggle with getting used to the interface as well, it's designed for touch screens.

I don't know about you, but I don't have the cashola to even think about purchasing a touch screen for my computer and frankly, I still really LOOOOOOVE XP even though I'm running 7... Will I upgrade? HELL NO! Ever? Probably not. Why? I never trust MS to produce anything worth while until at the very least the first SP has been released. And even then it's still a hit-or-miss situation.

Here's a few pics and info on Winblows chode 8...

Talk about craptastic
For those of you who can't do your own Google images search

Microsoft has stated that you're free to revert the UI back to the way Windows 7's UI works and functions.

As soon as a copy of Windows 8 goes up on TechNet for public trial I'll be grabbing the ISO. Don't subscribe to TechNet at the moment so I don't get let into these builds early.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Microsoft has stated that you're free to revert the UI back to the way Windows 7's UI works and functions.

As soon as a copy of Windows 8 goes up on TechNet for public trial I'll be grabbing the ISO. Don't subscribe to TechNet at the moment so I don't get let into these builds early.

I'm hoping they'll throw it up on DreamSpark too.

Interscopia

x10 Caffeine Addict
Prime Account
Reaction score
Windows 7 was supposed to be optimized for touchscreen too...