Create Textarea

Reaction score
I want to create a text box having multiple number of rows which would accept multi-line input from a user.

Apparently, the HTML tag <textarea> seems to be a likely solution.

But there is a problem with it.

The textbox created by using textarea has a sort of bug or something, due to which a viewer can change its shape by dragging its bottom right corner.

But I don't want that. I want a text box which will have a fixed size that can be predetermined by me.

Looking forward to some help from you guys. And thanks in advance!

Regards,
Debojyoti Ghosh.

Teensweb

Reaction score
It's not a bug, its a feature!
If you wanna turn that off jus add style="resize: none;"
BTW, do you know that there are some things called search engines? Before posting any questions on this forum we expect that you do some research on your topic! For example just googling "textarea noresize" would have solved your problem!
Please read the thread Programming Help Rules and Guidelines before posting further threads!

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You know, it's not generally a good idea to mess with the users' ability to use the tools they're used to. They know what they want to do; you don't. Nor do you know how much they know about their system in general -- they may know how to resize a textarea and use a mouse to select a large swath of text, but may be utterly unaware that they can do the same thing with the shift and arrow keys in a smaller textarea. Your job as a developer/designer is to make the users' lives easier, not to unreasonably enforce pixel perfection in their browsers.

If your page falls apart when a texarea is resized, then work on the rest of your page instead of restricting the user. Front-end (UI) work is hard. Get used to it.

jim55

Reaction score
also, you should bear in mind that 'resize= "none" does not work across all browsers, if you decide to go down that route.