Safari Issue

flash3d889

Reaction score
Hello X10,

I am having an issue with this gallery that I custom-made for a client. In every other browser the jQuery Carousel (top area with thumbnails) works perfectly, but in Safari after a few scrolls to the right the images stop loading. I looked in the Safari developer menu and I can't find any different in the state of the images or li containers that do load and those that don't load; no difference in computed CSS, HTML, or any JavaScript errors.

I am a windows user so I am not aware of Safari's quirks. Normally I code this with good standards and it works everywhere without issues (I didn't make the rest of the site >.>). Does anyone know why this is not working?

~Jacob

flash3d889

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. However, I am still confused about the error that is causing it not to work? I checked over the state of the elements and they were all the same. If possible, I would like to fix the plugin to make it work. It is still my job to make sure the gallery works either way.

Darkmere

Reaction score
Try using a different plug-in. But imho I would stay away from plug-ins people have to download that are not common. Most visitors will not download the plug in they will just leave.

flash3d889

Reaction score
I tried the fixed that I found online, no luck. I can move to a different plugin but (1) it would be more work to learn to use a new plugin and customize it to look and work exactly the same way, and (2) it doesn't answer why it doesn't work. I want as much to get this working as I do to know why it is not working. Hopefully I can learn something and prevent similar issues in the future.

Anyway I am trying everything I know how to do from my end, hopefully someone (like the famous misson) here can figure out an answer as well.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Try using a different plug-in. But imho I would stay away from plug-ins people have to download that are not common. Most visitors will not download the plug in they will just leave.

This is a jQuery plugin, just a .js file. Not like Flash or Silverlight.

Darkmere

Reaction score
oh ok ... a plug-in to me is something that has to be downloaded by a 3rd party in order to do something.

Teensweb

Reaction score
What solution did you try?
It might be a bug with safari, if you've already tried
Code:
       if ($.browser.safari  &&  $.browser.version < 523 ) {
            this.buttons(false, false);
            $(window).bind('load', function() { self.setup(); });
        } else
            this.setup();
    };
Then I'd suggest upgrading to the latest version of jquery. I can't make a proper environment for testing easily since it seems to work fine for me in Safari locally(I'm on ver 525.29-win 7)!

flash3d889

Reaction score
Yes, that and others. None of them work with my install of Safari which is the latest download on Windows XP. I applied that fix anyway since it seems to work for some people, but it doesn't work for me and I still don't have any idea why.

Last edited:

Teensweb

Reaction score
Does it work locally for you? And did you try upgrading to jquery 1.6.1?

flash3d889

Reaction score
That fixed it, it is hard to believe it is something as simple as that >.> Thanks a lot for your help!

Teensweb

Reaction score
Cross-browser compatibility is one of the primary goals of every library, so it was very likely that jquery fixed some issue or the other in their newer versions...

Last edited: