What is the oldest/crappiest computer you've ever had

Darkmere

Reaction score
My first was the 286 without HDD just floppies, the longest PC class I've used was the classic Pentium 100. I was able to maximized its RAM to 128MB(32x4), 2x40G HDD, multi-boot to DOS, Win98, Win2000 and yes even WinXP(just to test if it will run and it did! dead slow). In one point in time I have to zip ms office, delete its folder then unzip corel and other Gtools just to do graphics then reveres the zipping/delete if i want to do office documents. Those were the days, my rant only was that I couldn't play Diablo.

Diablo ... lol I remember that game the most disappointing game I ever bought

anurag.baghail57

Reaction score
This one what i am currently using.
Intel Celeron 466 Mhz, 40 GB HD and 128 MB ram. XP goes so slow on it that i can take a nap after switching it on. Any suggestions for me , how may i make it little faster ?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
This one what i am currently using.
Intel Celeron 466 Mhz, 40 GB HD and 128 MB ram. XP goes so slow on it that i can take a nap after switching it on. Any suggestions for me , how may i make it little faster ?

128MB of RAM isn't nearly enough to run XP -- you're actually using your HDD as "RAM" most of the time, and hard disk read/write times are a lot slower than RAM reads and writes, even on old PC133 DIMMs. 256MB is an absolute minimum for XP, and that doesn't make it fast, just usable. (Of course, that's just for the operating system -- you'll need more memory if you want to run applications too.)

If you can't upgrade the machine (or if you can get a newer machine and want to keep the Celeron going as a second machine) then changing the OS is your best option. Windows 98SE would be happy(ish) on that level of hardware if you can find a retail copy someone isn't using (should be in line with the machine transfer part of the EULA) and you can add an XP-style USB driver that makes hardware easy to use (I ran that configuration on an old laptop a few years back, and it wasn't horrible). Or you can use one of the Linux distros that are designed for low hardware footprints -- if you're not a Linux user, it'll mean some adjustments for you, but at least you'll have a computer that responds to your inputs within a day or two of you making them. Just don't expect to be editing 12MP images in the GIMP or rendering hi-def animated movies in Blender -- you are still memory-constrained, and only a hardware cure will fix that.

wc3garage82

Reaction score
Pentium 4 (forgot the processor model)
2.09GhZ
512 MB ram
80GB HDD
NVIDIA 5500 FX (removed 'cause it was eaten by mouse, so make it OnBoard Graphics which is 64mb)
Well seems like best ryt? 'cause its motherboard is freakingly awesome :D,

krofunk

Reaction score
Pentium 4 (forgot the processor model)
2.09GhZ
512 MB ram
80GB HDD
NVIDIA 5500 FX (removed 'cause it was eaten by mouse, so make it OnBoard Graphics which is 64mb)
Well seems like best ryt? 'cause its motherboard is freakingly awesome :D,

I think thats just about still passable today for everyday tasks...not all that crap at all lol

anurag.baghail57

Reaction score
lol the smallest Hard Drive I had was a 27 meg lol and that was huge for the time

Sure ....once we had used floppy drives instead of HDD. @Darkmere your site design is cool. what abut the in-line design for content ?

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

Thanks for the info.
well may u tell me any of LINUX flavors having GUI for my configuration ?

Darkmere

Reaction score
Sure ....once we had used floppy drives instead of HDD. @Darkmere your site design is cool. what abut the in-line design for content ?

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

Thanks for the info.
well may u tell me any of LINUX flavors having GUI for my configuration ?

Yep I remember loading DOS on an old pc-jr by floppy. as for my site, thank you, and right now the site was limited on what I could do since it was primarily for school, but I am working on a better design since I do not have rio use it for school any more. I am algal wanting to add content as well.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Excuse any misspelling since I am on a tablet right now lol

conzone

Reaction score
oldest machine was an IBM XT that had a tape drive interface......
Crappiest was an Olivetti

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
My first was at work, used to code the robotic PCB assembly tools. I remember getting xtree-gold and wow'ing at the graphical folder interface !

Amstrad PC1512

CPU: Intel 8086 @ 8 MHz
Usable RAM: 512K (PC1512), 640K (PC1640)
Built-in ROM: 16K
Graphics: MDA, CGA (PC1512), MDA, Hercules, CGA, EGA (PC1640)
Sound: PC beeper
Bundled Software: Amstrad-adapted MS-DOS 3.20, DR-DOSPlus 1.2 (similar to CP/M 86), GEM 2.0 (Graphics Environment Manager) and BASIC2 1.12.

Xtree- gold! I'd forgotten about that.

But there were various 1512's... One floppy drive, two floppies, or if you were really rich... A hard drive - woah nelly!

Ahh, life was simpler in those days.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Xtree- gold! I'd forgotten about that.
Ahh, life was simpler in those days.

Do you ever find yourself feeling way too much like one of the four Yorkshiremen? (That's the original with Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Cleese, Graham Chapman, and Marty Feldman -- before Monty Python.)

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

(I only ask because I do.)

rodpeterson48

Reaction score
I remember using an atari 800 growing up. We eventually got a Zenith 8086, no hard drive, just floppies. My first computer I purchased was a 386 sx 8mhz with turbo to 16 mhz!

IonCannon218

Reaction score
I used an Pentium 3 with 256MB of RAM back in the day. Went up to Celeron and then got a modern dual core last year.

Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score
I used my little brother's "laptop", which is really old...I think it uses Windows 98 or something....

Darkmere

Reaction score
Anyone remember the Old Cyrex CPUs. They made 80486i compatible cpus that ran so hot they would literally catch fire lol