Windows 8 To Stop Activation Hacks

mjserv

Reaction score

Microsoft is currently working on new activation technology to curb the plague of BIOS, SLIC, and various activation hacks that exist for Windows.

The new technology will be OEM Activation 3.0 (OA 3.0), an upgrade from OA2.1, which was used in Windows 7. A quick Google search will land you on Microsoft’s job post, confirming a position for this project.

Microsoft issues keys for OEM and computer manufacturers, some of which would allow the user to skip the activation process. These keys serve their function by checking for data in the OEM-embedded hardware BIOS. Unfortunately for Microsoft, hackers have found a way to circumvent this procedure.

nithin kamath

Reaction score
according to physics: For each and every matter there exists an anti-matter.. Like that, whatever the software manufacturer's do, these hackers will find new way to do some mischievous things :) :confused:

Darkmere

Reaction score
As a summary to what Nithin stated: No Such thing as Hack Proof

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Was about to say the same thing as the above upon seeing this thread's title. Someone will find a way around it I'm sure. I'm curious as to what PC Builders (Dell, HP, Gateway...) are going to do now for activation, since a lot of those use the same BIOS/motherboard Loopholes for OEM copies of Windows. Perhaps they'll go back to the old ways of doing it where you have to enter in the license key.

remy87x18

Reaction score
A word to Microsoft, I'll believe when I see it, LOL. With that, go hackers!

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
Activation hacking wouldnt be such a big issue if Windows wasnt so damn expensive imho...

dkstiler97

Reaction score
In any Case we are not forced to use windows since there are many open source linux or bsd style operating systems such as debian, ubuntu or even freebsd etc ....

and now they can do anything like windows even gaming ....

nithin kamath

Reaction score
but we cannot get the kind of satisfaction in linux as we get it in Windows... Means, still linux is not as comfortable as windows for daily use....

Reaction score
I work for a retail company, alot of software is now selling with an activation bar code similar to what prepaid cell phones use. I can see that becoming the next way to stop pirates.

Darkmere

Reaction score
You have a screeny? The prepaids here where I live are paid like a real cell phone similar to a bill

chiunshen56

Reaction score
Doesn't preview version provide upgrade? If not, how could we evaluate compatibility of other software?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Doesn't preview version provide upgrade? If not, how could we evaluate compatibility of other software?

The Developer Preview is pre-beta, meaning they are not finished with the operating system yet. Once it hits beta stage, you might be able to do an upgrade install since that will be one thing they will want people to test. For now since it is being used for developmental reasons, it requires a clean install. Probably for the better, anyways since upgrade installs can make a mess of everything.

frankpee

Reaction score
I expect Windows 8 will be available cracked on or before its official release.

magicstruck44

Reaction score
if only MS would price their products like apple.. seems like apple is allowing multiple installs of macos within a family if you buy it once at US29.xx ... but then again... apple is more of a hardware company than a software company..