syntax analyzer C++

nithin kamath

Reaction score
i did'nt get... what do you mean by syntax analyser.??? As per my knowledge, the compiler itself analyses the code and report the bugs or syntax errors... :)

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I believe what is being sought here is something more akin to an IDE -- something that does syntax highlighting, type-ahead and so forth, and perhaps may be library-aware.

There are a few of them out there, including the CDT environment for Eclipse, a C/C++ version of Netbeans and Dev C++ (they're all free and you can use Google to find them). There's also Visual Studio for Windows development (or you may find an old copy of Visual C++ out there somewhere) -- the Microsoft products aren't free, but they're probably the easiest way to work with the Win32 API and MFC if you're developing for older versions of Windows (XP and below).

Most of the developers I know who are working on Linux use either emacs or vim; you should be able to find a veritable feast of C++ goodies for them online (depending on your opinion of tabs vs spaces and which is the One True Brace Style). And just about any editor other than Notepad will do simple syntax highlighting, brace matching, auto-indenting and so on. Remember, though, that C and C++ are really pretty small languages -- a simple editor won't be aware of your defs, macros or functions/methods, so the highlighting stops with the language keywords.

Last edited: