Windows or Linux?

What's your favourite?

• Total voters

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
I prefer Windows systems for my own personal use. However, for servers, I would definately choose a Linux system since it has many advantages over Windows.

Oh, and also, this is the thread's 100 reply; congratulations!! :)

unlimitedphoenix23

Reaction score
I'd say Linux is better, and a personal favorite distro for me would be Debian but I have plenty of programs on Windows I need to run and Wine doesn't work so well on them :|

scottsemail60

Reaction score
Voted for *nix would vote for any Open Source system regardless of it being Unix or Linux anything thats not proprietary and binding to a vendor that loves DRM.. yes I am looking at you Apple & Microsoft.

As far as Distro's go I would have to go with Arch or Debain.. I tried Ubuntu and didn't really like it all that much, it's too mainstream and I got the feeling it's trying too hard to please everybody, that never works, you cant please everybody, I guarantee theirs always someone somewhere that wont like it! :)

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Linux all the way... @ backtrack user, hope you know how much of a skiddie that makes you sound dude.. Seriously, download Slackintosh, SPlack, Arch or Debian with grSecurity or SELinux and build your own pen-testing distro using their Repo if you have to, but never go with the mainstream crowd, live life on the bleeding edge... Tried Ubuntu didn't like it, it's too commercial trying to please everybody, you cant please everybody, its a guaranteed fact, someone somewhere just wont like it! Also it wont let you play your DVD's without enabling the codec libdvdcss2 to decode the DVD VOB in the first place, I don't want a distro I have to spend hours trying to tweak to get the bits I want to be working,! I want one I can set-up out the box with the minimum of fuss and have everything working right off the bat from the set go. Also try disabling services on Ubuntu and then finding you have to be a wizard at their proprietary Up-Start instead of using tried tested and true SYSV which is PURE!!! ;)

theone48

Reaction score
Never used Linux or Mac, but I believe there is a reason for main appeal for Windows, from what I've read: Usability and compatibility. Until another OS is developed that beats Windows in easiness, it will always be mainstream.

spartakus4ever52

Reaction score
Can someone from STAFF help me?

Guys, i signed up for an account with x10hosting, and it is still pending!

Please activate my account!

Thanks a lot for your work...

Best regards,
Vik

dkstiler97

Reaction score
Well i am using windows for fun games etc some work but when to setup networking servers
though on sun virtual box i use linux .... enough

i prefer linux most over windows server much better security and even control of the system .. at every level ....

amresh_rai47

Reaction score
I prefer Linux. It has added advantage over security specially if you are dealing with server. User friendly too;)

palmerx6414

Reaction score
LINUX is great but it is not user friendly by far ... you have to know what you are doing.

That's not entirely true... Windows is definitely user friendly, but if you know the distinction between the Windows and Linux you should be able to use Ubuntu, Mint, Pinguy OS, Puppy Linux, Suse, Fedora etc. etc. They have some pretty user friendly Linux distros, you just need to get used to them.

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
I'd much prefer Linux over Windows.
Not exactly a fan of Windows... lulz

nithin kamath

Reaction score
Linux is not as comfortable as Windows... User interface, application compatibility etc. in windows is better than Linux..... I personally like Windows.. it does'nt mean that linux is not good, it depends on what context you are considering.....

luckyjoestar99

Reaction score
After getting hit with adware six years ago, I decided to deep-six Windows and switch to Linux. This laptop I’m using, which I got last year, originally had Windows 7 on it, and I erased it and installed Mandriva Linux.