Computer not working

kim_foxx

Reaction score
Yesterday I was burning somthing and when i came back the computer had turned off. Now when i try to turn it on it turns on but doesn't do anything... There is no beeping noise and I can't see anything on the screen.
I thought it may have been the dust so i cleaned the RAM and the other hardware but still the same issue.
Anyone have any idea what the issue might be or what should be replaced (hopes not the motherboard)

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd start off by removing all components and replacing them one by one. I had a similar incident, ended up being a stick of ram.

ravik

Reaction score
Check CMOS Battery
if possible replace it with a new one and reload bios defaults

kloozx10

Reaction score
if you were running pirated operating system microsoft might of sent some sort of kill signal and disabled something hardware wise, its happened to me twice

vfmrcx10

Reaction score
check cables first. when you turn it on, press TAB and numlock simultaneously. if you are using dedicated graphics card, go clean it and just plug your monitor cable to your built in vga slot. if you don't have any built in vga in your board. just clean you graphics card then re-insert it. if nothing happens again, check voltage of your psu using vom. check if the power supply volt trail not stabilize, if it is stabilize, check ram. if nothing happens again, removed board and isolate it. just plug processor, heat sink, board, ram, and psu. check if it opens. if nothing happens. buy thermal paste or silicon paste. clean your processor with alcohol and tissue, just clean the upper part where the thermal paste is. TAKE NOTE, don't put too much alcohol. :). clean your heatsink with brush and then put a bit thermal paste to your processor and then plug ot put the heatsink on. be sure that it is place safely and correctly. TAKE NOTE. don't put to much thermal paste or silicon paste. i can burned your processor or entire board. please be careful with your processor since you don't want to end up having a broken pins. then test t. if again nothing happens. reset cmos. hth

krofunk

Reaction score
If it turns on but nothing happens (ie no beeps or post) then MY initail thought would be that there is a problem with the 12volt ATX supply to the board (4pin plug near cpu with black and yellow wires).

This problem can be reproduced on any computer by unplugging this cable and turning it on.

Now if it is the 12v that is at fault what is the cause? has the plug just come loose? has your power PSU died? is there a break in the cable (been kinked/nicked/melted?) you can get testers for these problems.

From what you have said the PSU is the first thing I would check after re-seating everything (as thats the first thing everyone should do in this situation).