PluggedIn - Need Help and Suggestions

rajat.vaghani37

Reaction score
Ok.. First let me tell you the site is still under minor constructions, before giving the link.

PluggedIn

Everyone downloads music on the internet. There are many sites for that too. But the problem with those sites are horrible ads, captchas, waiting time etc. So, I thought why not I do myself a favor and make something for myself. And then probably everyone can use. So I designed PluggedIn.

What I did -
I didn't upload files or anything. All I did was creating a totally awesome PHP script which scrapes the internet for the music files and stores them in the database, which one search displays it in an easy format.

Now the site is ready, except I haven't indexed all the songs yet. All the bollywood/hindi songs are nearly done, and just a handful of english songs left. Shouldn't take me much time, the scrapper works fast. But i need to time to run it also. Haha.

My questions -

Hows the design guys?
Hows the idea?
Anyone interested in any sorta partnership or something?

eggo9432

Reaction score
I would be interested in a partnership or something dude. As you know, my site is a music hosting website and I could provide the user account system or something like that. The idea is good, but the only problem is that your site would have no possible way to make money with no ads at all. If it ever becomes popular, you might want the possibility of making money. Maybe make it limited ads or something. The design is nice and sleek, but I might make the headphone image a little bit smaller so that it is closer to the top of page. Good work so far. Also, make sure to set a max-width for the div that displays what you searched because it can grow and take up quite a bit of room on the page.

rajat.vaghani37

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply :)

What partnership exactly do you have in mind?

Cause right now, Im looking at purchasing a domain, and then heading towards advertisements and promotion, which im very sure of. Ive got an excellent method, and there will be 10K-20K people using the site daily definitely. :D

And as for the ads thing, see, I dont want to disturb the user experience AT ALL. Totally clean. Google ads and all that spoil it totally. Probably if people are interested in investing for an adspace in the footer or in the sides, and say a name - like "presented by abcd" etc then its fine. :)

eggo9432

Reaction score
I do not know exactly what kind of partnership you want, but I think that one would work well for both of us. I could possibly do something with user accounts. And all accounts on my site will be linked to your and maybe all downloads from your site could be put into a database on mine and shown on the user profile. I don't know, maybe something like that. I have been working a lot on the account side of my site and have nearly perfected it and think that it has a very good interface. I could also add a search bar on my site that links to songs that a queried in your database. Also, I think that getting a domain would be a good idea. I would suggest a .com. So, tell me what you think and I think that this would be really cool.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

By the way, how do you predict that your site will have between 10 -20k visits daily? Have you implemented a hit counter or something? Just curious.

rajat.vaghani37

Reaction score
No i dont want user accounts and all that. That will be more work for users to come n download songs. I want it as simple as possible. Got anything else in mind?

Domain purchased - its a .org: http://thepluggedin.org

Yep, I installed google analytics.. yesterday after registering the domain I got 5000 hits, and as of now, 11 20am local time, its 12K and running :)

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Check this!

http://thepluggedin.org/other/partner.php

omg88

Reaction score
I like the concept behind the idea for the website... Perhaps you can add some pages like Most downloaded songs, Most searched songs (That will help you in making sure your song database has what people are searching.)

rajat.vaghani37

Reaction score
I won't lie I never thought of that. :)

I've added a tag cloud/search cloud already. Perhaps more pages on them soon. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

eggo9432

Reaction score
I do not know for sure what my site has that you may want. Just looking at it, is there any thing and or feature form my site that interests you?

rajat.vaghani37

Reaction score
The chat feature is pretty interesting. Is it your own script or third party?

Btw, u have a few errors. The edit account page shows * for display picture and songs to be uploaded. I think you should avoid that :)

And very impressive! Specially the use of ajax! (y)

gaptrast

Reaction score
I like your concept. You have a very impressive number of visitors!

You should have a top 10 list or something at the homepage. Then visitors do not need to write and search...

The search cloud doesn't look good. It is very difficult to read and find.

Also, you should change the hovering effects of the facebook and twitter icons.

gap

eggo9432

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I wrote the chat script myself, that was a good week of work, but after updating to my new site design there a re quite a few errors and one of my next priorities is optimizing the chat, but yes, i wrote it myself. Thank you for pointing out the errors on edit account page. I got half way through that page and something else came up and I forgot to go back. Thank you for the comment about ajax, it does take a while to learn.

Also, for your site. It might be cool if you keep a record of how many searches are made each day and then on the home page say something like 6,000 searches today, or something like that.

rajat.vaghani37

Reaction score
I like your concept. You have a very impressive number of visitors!

You should have a top 10 list or something at the homepage. Then visitors do not need to write and search...

The search cloud doesn't look good. It is very difficult to read and find.

Also, you should change the hovering effects of the facebook and twitter icons.

gap

Thank you :)

Yeah, the top 10 list sounds good.. I'll probably add it soon.

Hmm. I see. Any suggestions on how to improve the cloud then?

LOL I didn't see those like that. Thanks for pointing it out!

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Thank you very much. I wrote the chat script myself, that was a good week of work, but after updating to my new site design there a re quite a few errors and one of my next priorities is optimizing the chat, but yes, i wrote it myself. Thank you for pointing out the errors on edit account page. I got half way through that page and something else came up and I forgot to go back. Thank you for the comment about ajax, it does take a while to learn.

Also, for your site. It might be cool if you keep a record of how many searches are made each day and then on the home page say something like 6,000 searches today, or something like that.

Oh, thats very impressive if you actually did code it yourself! Kudos!
Let me know when the chat works. I'd love to test it!

Naah, not yet. When the numbers reach 6 digits :p

pete39

Reaction score
My questions -

Hows the design guys?
Hows the idea?
Anyone interested in any sorta partnership or something?

"How's the design"
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the design of this website is not good at all.
The colors compete, the text blends into the background, and the overall execution of the design is shaky.

"How's the idea"
The idea is cool, but illegal.

rajat.vaghani37

Reaction score
"How's the design"
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the design of this website is not good at all.
The colors compete, the text blends into the background, and the overall execution of the design is shaky.

Oh, ok. Next time I'll check up a Webs website to borrow a few ideas from ;P

eggo9432

Reaction score
You wanted me to tell you when I got the chat working again, and it is back up. In order to be able to chat with someone, you must be friends with them. I added your page as a friend, go here http://www.pearlsquirrel.com/eggo to add me as one and then you will be able to test the chat.

eggo9432

Reaction score
I just added you as a friend and sent you a message. Sorry about the password I have yet to add the password recovery system.

eggo9432

Reaction score
The chat on my site is Instant Messaging. It is very similar to the facebook chat maybe you experienced a glitch or something, but it is meant to be IM.

rajat.vaghani37

Reaction score
Personally, I do not think you'll need a page just for the search cloud. Try to insert it somewhere in the site. (front page? search results? in the bottom?)

If I add it in another page, it will just slow down the loading time. Which I want to avoid. I want to try and keep the user experience as fast as possible. According to Google analytics, the index page currently loads in .18 seconds. Which I want to keep :)

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

The chat on my site is Instant Messaging. It is very similar to the facebook chat maybe you experienced a glitch or something, but it is meant to be IM.

I was able to send a message even though the chat showed (0). So I thought it was the normal messaging system. o_O