Uploaded page yesterday

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Minimalsm, I like; that colour scheme, not so much. It's not just an irrational dislike of #ed5466 either (de gustibus non est disputandem); it's what is does to the typography.

I know that there's a trend toward lower contrast in the name of readability. It's wrong in general (I do accessibility) but I guess there's some data that backs it up in the case of young folk with good eyesight, and if that's your target demographic, then cool. I'd like to see something lighter in value for the dark text to play against, but that's not the main issue here.

It's the distinct perceptual baseline shift of the white text that bugs me; it looks sort of like two-colour printing with a slight registration problem, where the knock-outs in the background plate for the white text don't quite align with the black plate -- the white text looks a little bolder (telling me that the background is a little bit too dark) and appears to be offset visually about one pixel (or maybe a half) down and to the right.

I thought that might be a saturation issue, so I opened developer tools in Chrome and played with the background colour a bit. As I suspected, bringing the saturation down helped with the visual alignment, and I found that I could bring the brightness (and thus the contrast with the body text) up quite a bit while maintaining the visibility and legibility of the white text. The only fly in the ointment is that the :hover colour of the links gets lost against a lighter, greyer background.

Last edited:

xaoskitty

Reaction score
I like it, but the huge space on the right side is annoying (just my opinion). Maybe a small design ( logo or a floral tattoo ) on bottom right corner would be great.