Review My Site? :)

alltechs

Reaction score
Site link: http://everyonesamasterchef.com

Its basically like a social network for people who love cooking/eating. Come, read recipes, post your own, comment on others' recipes etc.

I've only got about 20 recipes now. new site. So before I start promoting it and all, I thought i'd get the views and reviews of you fellow x10 users :)

what suggestions do you have to help improve the site? :)

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, I'm not a big fan of Comic Sans for anything, but we'll give that a rest for now. (Enough people use it that somebody must think it's attractive, no matter how much the design community and us web wonks like to laugh at it rather than with it.) And "Everyones" should be "Everyone's", with an apostrophe, everywhere but in your URL. (There are other minor grammatical problems, but that's the one that makes the site look "sketchy" rather than "homey".)

The two biggest problems I can see can both be solved at the same time. There isn't enough information on the home page to make me want to sign up, and the harsh rectangles and wide borders in the banner image look really out of place on a site that otherwise has rounded rectangles with shadows and gradients. Oh, and they look clickable but aren't, which is a problem — never play around with users' expectations, since they'll just get frustrated and leave.

The icons you've used for "Find Desired Recipes" and "Bon Appetit!" look out of place in your design, but none of the icons match, really. I'd change the wording, too: there's no reason to have the word "Desired" in "Find Recipes" (another word or phrase would be better); and "Share Your Favourite Recipes" would be better than "Share Own Recipes".

So it boils down to this: you have one image that looks like four clickable things, that doesn't match the rest of the site, that has wording problems, and that isn't internally consistent (mismatched icons). Because all of the big problems I can see (I'm not signing up to go deeper) are in one place, there's one fix for all of them. There are any number of ways to fix it, but if it were me, I'd create four "actionable items"; four things that can be clicked either to get the user more information, or to start the ball rolling.

I really don't like it when a site hides all of its data behind a registration wall (unless it's clear why the data should be private or restricted, like with self-help support groups and that sort of thing). You don't need to open the site up completely, but a handful of "featured recipes" that are publicly accessible would help a lot. You don't need to give away the secrets (they can be hidden behind a "Sign up to see more" link), but you do need to get mouths watering if you want signups (or "conversions", as we call them in the trade). It's hard to do that automatically; you'd need to curate that manually (maybe based on an internal community rating system), but since there'd be a limited number of "featured" and "favourite" recipes, they can be summarized on one page (perhaps linked to the "Find Recipes" button on the home page). If you can add photos to the featured recipes, that would be great, but a bit of good copy writing can do the job almost as well. (And I know it's hard to put together a page like that before the site goes "live". Maybe for the first little while you can add a blurb that sort of dares people to add something even better, which may also lead to conversions.)

On your privacy policy page, you mention that you encrypt passwords. I really hope that's not true (encryption implies decryption). There's a problem with trying to simplify this for the masses; it tends to lead us to use technical terms in the wrong way. I'd like to assume that you mean that you're storing a salted (and, perhaps, peppered*) secure hash of the password (preferably with a high work factor, but that may be asking too much), and that while you can tell whether or not I've used the right password, the password itself is unrecoverable except by brute force. I'd like to, but I can't because you've used the word "encrypted", and that makes me nervous. If you mean that the passwords are stored in an unrecoverable format, it's better to say that.

* In crypto terms, a "salt" is a per-user value, preferably a cryptographically random nonce, but the important part is that it's a different value for each user. Its job is to prevent "rainbow table" attacks, making the brute-force cracking of passwords a one-user-at-a-time deal. The salt can be stored in the database along with the hash, since it doesn't need to be any more secret than the hash itself. "Pepper" is a server secret that can be the same for all users (or, say, for all users whose username starts with the letter "a"); it's usually stored (often, but not always, encrypted) in a file that is not accessible to "world" (above the public_html or www folder) rather than in the database. It's job is essentially to change the hash algorithm (to put it simply) so that knowing the salt, the hash value, and the hash algorithm is still not enough — the bad guys have to have access to the database and the code and the pepper in order to figure out what the password was. It may not mean much to your site, but it's extra protection for users who use the same username and password everywhere.

alltechs

Reaction score
Well, I'm not a big fan of Comic Sans for anything, but we'll give that a rest for now. (Enough people use it that somebody must think it's attractive, no matter how much the design community and us web wonks like to laugh at it rather than with it.) And "Everyones" should be "Everyone's", with an apostrophe, everywhere but in your URL. (There are other minor grammatical problems, but that's the one that makes the site look "sketchy" rather than "homey".)

The two biggest problems I can see can both be solved at the same time. There isn't enough information on the home page to make me want to sign up, and the harsh rectangles and wide borders in the banner image look really out of place on a site that otherwise has rounded rectangles with shadows and gradients. Oh, and they look clickable but aren't, which is a problem — never play around with users' expectations, since they'll just get frustrated and leave.

The icons you've used for "Find Desired Recipes" and "Bon Appetit!" look out of place in your design, but none of the icons match, really. I'd change the wording, too: there's no reason to have the word "Desired" in "Find Recipes" (another word or phrase would be better); and "Share Your Favourite Recipes" would be better than "Share Own Recipes".

So it boils down to this: you have one image that looks like four clickable things, that doesn't match the rest of the site, that has wording problems, and that isn't internally consistent (mismatched icons). Because all of the big problems I can see (I'm not signing up to go deeper) are in one place, there's one fix for all of them. There are any number of ways to fix it, but if it were me, I'd create four "actionable items"; four things that can be clicked either to get the user more information, or to start the ball rolling.

I really don't like it when a site hides all of its data behind a registration wall (unless it's clear why the data should be private or restricted, like with self-help support groups and that sort of thing). You don't need to open the site up completely, but a handful of "featured recipes" that are publicly accessible would help a lot. You don't need to give away the secrets (they can be hidden behind a "Sign up to see more" link), but you do need to get mouths watering if you want signups (or "conversions", as we call them in the trade). It's hard to do that automatically; you'd need to curate that manually (maybe based on an internal community rating system), but since there'd be a limited number of "featured" and "favourite" recipes, they can be summarized on one page (perhaps linked to the "Find Recipes" button on the home page). If you can add photos to the featured recipes, that would be great, but a bit of good copy writing can do the job almost as well. (And I know it's hard to put together a page like that before the site goes "live". Maybe for the first little while you can add a blurb that sort of dares people to add something even better, which may also lead to conversions.)

On your privacy policy page, you mention that you encrypt passwords. I really hope that's not true (encryption implies decryption). There's a problem with trying to simplify this for the masses; it tends to lead us to use technical terms in the wrong way. I'd like to assume that you mean that you're storing a salted (and, perhaps, peppered*) secure hash of the password (preferably with a high work factor, but that may be asking too much), and that while you can tell whether or not I've used the right password, the password itself is unrecoverable except by brute force. I'd like to, but I can't because you've used the word "encrypted", and that makes me nervous. If you mean that the passwords are stored in an unrecoverable format, it's better to say that.

* In crypto terms, a "salt" is a per-user value, preferably a cryptographically random nonce, but the important part is that it's a different value for each user. Its job is to prevent "rainbow table" attacks, making the brute-force cracking of passwords a one-user-at-a-time deal. The salt can be stored in the database along with the hash, since it doesn't need to be any more secret than the hash itself. "Pepper" is a server secret that can be the same for all users (or, say, for all users whose username starts with the letter "a"); it's usually stored (often, but not always, encrypted) in a file that is not accessible to "world" (above the public_html or www folder) rather than in the database. It's job is essentially to change the hash algorithm (to put it simply) so that knowing the salt, the hash value, and the hash algorithm is still not enough — the bad guys have to have access to the database and the code and the pepper in order to figure out what the password was. It may not mean much to your site, but it's extra protection for users who use the same username and password everywhere.

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review!! :D

Really appreciate the time you took out for this :)

I have taken almost all your points into consideration.
I have added "latest recipes" on the home page. And the recipes can now be accessed by non members too. But only half the recipe, without the ingredients list.

For example: http://everyonesamasterchef.com/Cheesy-Potato-Bake.html

As for the password thing, its md5 encrypted, which you must be knowing cannot be cracked. I thought just saying encrypted would do it cause many don't know the difference or what md5 means. :)
But i've changed that too ^_^

Only thing left is the banner image! I'll see what can be done :)

Any other suggestions? :)
Perhaps you could sign in and see the rest of the site, so you could point out the mistake there too. I'd really appreciate it. :)

Thanks again!

walidno1

Reaction score
dude, I am sending over the vector format of the logo... its free and you need not have wasted time removing the background from the image since vector format will allow you to save the image in any format (png gives transparent background)..

alltechs

Reaction score
dude, I am sending over the vector format of the logo... its free and you need not have wasted time removing the background from the image since vector format will allow you to save the image in any format (png gives transparent background)..

oh, ok cool :D

ellescuba27

Reaction score
It's good so far, but it still could be better.
As esselar said, I expected too that the four icons (Simple Registration, Bon Appetit) were clickable, and they were not. As well, at the bottom right with the new recipes. I didn't see them there until I visited the page a few times. However, you did do a good job making the text readable.
As well for the new recipes, I think that instead of having the link in the middle of the rectangle, the whole rectangle should link to the page.
Another thing I didn't notice was the contact us and about us page. They were at the bottom where I did not see them. Maybe use the top banner and put those links there, because they are important, so the user should be able to see them right away.
Why bother putting a newline at the bottom of the page?
And the Privacy Policy page had a "Go Back" button, and I thought it was the title. Maybe put that at the bottom and make it the size of the rest of the text, and you could add a title there that says "Privacy Policy". Same goes for the Contact us and About us. Just a tip though is if you want to add a Go Back button, I would probably make it use history.go(-1) instead of a link to the homepage, because if Google indexes your site going back will mean something else.
Finally, I notice you have a Facebook button but not a Twitter or +1. But on all the other pages, you have all three. I would like it if you could add a Google +1 to the homepage, so I can +1 you.
As for the recipes, they look delicious, and that's what really matters. :)

alltechs

Reaction score
It's good so far, but it still could be better.
As esselar said, I expected too that the four icons (Simple Registration, Bon Appetit) were clickable, and they were not. As well, at the bottom right with the new recipes. I didn't see them there until I visited the page a few times. However, you did do a good job making the text readable.
As well for the new recipes, I think that instead of having the link in the middle of the rectangle, the whole rectangle should link to the page.
Another thing I didn't notice was the contact us and about us page. They were at the bottom where I did not see them. Maybe use the top banner and put those links there, because they are important, so the user should be able to see them right away.
Why bother putting a newline at the bottom of the page?
And the Privacy Policy page had a "Go Back" button, and I thought it was the title. Maybe put that at the bottom and make it the size of the rest of the text, and you could add a title there that says "Privacy Policy". Same goes for the Contact us and About us. Just a tip though is if you want to add a Go Back button, I would probably make it use history.go(-1) instead of a link to the homepage, because if Google indexes your site going back will mean something else.
Finally, I notice you have a Facebook button but not a Twitter or +1. But on all the other pages, you have all three. I would like it if you could add a Google +1 to the homepage, so I can +1 you.
As for the recipes, they look delicious, and that's what really matters. :)

thank you so much :D

Yeah im still working on those images :)

The links are in the bottom cause i want them to remain as footer links throughout the website. Once the user has logged in with his/her account, a nav bar on top appears anyways :)

I made the whole thing a link like you suggested! and added a +1 button too :D

Thank you!

ellescuba27

Reaction score
I +1'd you!
And also I like that you made the whole button a link. It's much better. :)

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If you are serious about the website then get rid of the compulsory registration.

If you just want the advertising revenue.. move the banner advert above the page fold where people can see it and Google Adsense will do the rest providing visitors with links to hundreds of recipe sites that allow people to see all the ingredients without having to provide an email address.