Has dot.tk been hijacked?

posidyn

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

I recently noticed a strange thing when trying to visit my website using posidyn.tk

It seems to redirect to what looks like a virus download page.

I cannot find my domain anymore on dot.tk website. Has anyone had issues with dot.tk? Has the whole domain controller thingy been hijacked?

My website is still accessible with posidyn.x10.mx.

Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
My dot.tk domain is working fine.

Maybe you should contact the dot.tk people

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
If you're on a free .tk plan and don't gt the required number of hits in ~90 days the domain goes back to the available pool - might be what happened here.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
They changed that Sharky. First part of February this year.

Please be advised that we have changed our free domain name registration
policy and that the requirement of having 25 hits per 90 days does not
exist anymore, starting today.

The new policy is that:

* All free domain names can be registered for a period from 1 to 12 months.

* Domain name renewals are free of charge and can only be done actively
by the registrant from two weeks prior to the expiration date of the domain name.

Palmer640

Reaction score
Ah, I was going to say what Sharky said, I didn't know it changed either. Interesting.

Both of my dot.tk domains work just fine, no redirect or anything. Yours seems to redirect a few times, then it finally settles on some hunting club membership sign up. There is nothing in the code of your site that included another site (like a redirect, iframe or something) that may have changed and added something that did this? Just a thought.

posidyn

Reaction score
I didn't know they changed the visitor policy as well, but I did get an expiry notification about 1-2 months ago and I renewed the domain.

I have contacted dot.tk through the only email that I found: payments-at-dot-dot-tk
Not sure if that is the correct email, but that is the only one I could find. Still waiting for response. I have only noticed that the domain has disappeared from my dot.tk account.

As far as redirects go. I used to have posidyn.x10.mx redirect to posidyn.tk which was my main domain for my site. Since I found this issue, I have changed the redirection to have posidyn.tk point to posidyn.x10.mx

ellescuba27

Reaction score
The tk domain still isn't going to the subdomain for me, maybe you forgot to renew?

dpyro200488

Reaction score
If it's a free domain then you don't actually own it. If they see it's getting a ton of hits or someone else notices, they can purchase that domain themselves. In essence your domain could be hijacked by the host or a visitor who noticed you getting a lot of hits.

rajjak10968

Reaction score
Its because you didnt register when you made the domain. It happened to me when they expire they just redirect to an advertisement.

posidyn

Reaction score
Today posidyn.tk is working again. The domain is back in my account and the exipry is very far off.

I never got a reply from the dot.tk people, but it is working again and it is free so I cannot complain. Time to change all the settings back to TK.