Need your reviews and comments on my latest project

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Nice.

There are a couple of pictures, though, that I would rethink—the compression artifacts really make them look bad. (That would be the valley landscape with the dramatic sky and the paraglider.) If you can't recompress them to a reasonable file size (something that downloads quickly) with higher quality/fewer artifacts, perhaps because you don't have access to a higher-quality version, then you might want to drop them from the rotation. You can also try Topaz Labs DeJPEG* Photoshop plugin if all you have are the JPEGs (you can use the unrestricted 30-day trial), which is great at removing compression artifacts (much better than any other tool out there at the moment), and works in any 8BF-compatible host (including Topaz's own photoFXLab, which is also trialable at no cost, as well as PS, PS Elements, PaintShop Pro, and a few others).

Oh, and it would probably be better if you could remove the timestamp from the one image that has it as well. It should be easy enough to clone out seamlessly.
* I'm not connected with Topaz Labs in any way; I'm just a tremendously satisfied customer. There are a number of plugins they produce that are head and shoulders above competitive products, notably DeJPEG, DeNoise, ReMask and Adjust. I also use and like some products from Nik, Imagenomic, Alien Skin and OnOne, and would recommend them when they're the right ones to use for the job.

walidno1

Reaction score
maybe instead of the pictures taking up the whole site, resize them so that the quality of the pictures are less distorted... Dunno, but pictures look pixelated

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
maybe instead of the pictures taking up the whole site, resize them so that the quality of the pictures are less distorted... Dunno, but pictures look pixelated

How the (good) pictures look will depend a lot on your browser and OS as well as your monitor size. The scaling that happens when an image is resized can be relatively smooth, and the vast majority of people are going to be running 1080p (1920 x 1080 pixels) or smaller these days (more often smaller, especially on notebooks and mobile devices). (Although the new @2x "Retina"-type displays may have many more pixels available, upscaling to fit doesn't look so bad since the resulting 2x2 pixel blocks are still the same size as ordinary pixels on non-Retina screens.) For instance, I'm only seeing the effects of horizontal scaling because the pictures are intrinsically narrower than my screen (they're at 4:3 aspect ratio at 1024x768, while on my monitor they're displayed at 1920 wide by about 850-ish tall).

I think most of what you're seeing as "pixelated" is actually JPEG compression artifacts. They're there in all of the images, but they aren't really obtrusive in most of them. Using a larger image with low compression -- let's say an 80+ QF in the GIMP or a 9+ in Photoshop -- would make for an obnoxious download time. Remember that most of the world runs at the speed of busy 3G wireless or public WiFi (and that the 3G people usually have some sort of bandwidth cap, and viewing your site could cost them a lot of money); 60Kbps with dropped packets is a good speed to plan around.

ellescuba27

Reaction score
Another good tool for removing JPEG compression is Imagiris: imagiris.com it's free and you just press start, upload the image or hotlink it to Imagiris then press JPEG Clean.
Let's take for example this image from your site. With a little tweaking, I turned your image (shown first) into a compression free, nicer looking image.
View attachment 7872imagiris_imagiris_dsc00470.jpg
Notice in the second image, especially in the road, how little compression bits seem to be missing.
Though I would make the background of the floating box which contains the text for "About Yelagiri", and "Why Yelagiri" pure black, the images can white and that makes it hard to read the text.