Can't change signup method Phpbb3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanno

Reaction score
Hi all,

So in the past my account got flagged for having too much spammers hitting on my forum. I am trying to sort this out by banning certain countries where lots of spam comes from. However, I also want to make registering more difficult for spammers.

So I tried changing from GDImage verification to Q&A and this happens:

Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes [1153]

Can this be increased to allow this change?

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
'max_allowed_packet' is set in mysql config

IMO x10hosting will not increase it

Last edited:

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
The default max_allowed_packet is 1MB, which should be more than sufficient for pretty much everything (note this means that you can insert up to 1MB of data into a database at once, not that you can only submit 1MB of data in a web form).

I'm guessing you are hitting this limit because you are trying to submit every setting on the ACP at once. Try editing individual setting sections instead.

kanno

Reaction score
Nope I am editing within one section "Spambot Countermeasures" and clicking Submit.

However below the "Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes [1153]" message it is trying to do this:

DELETE FROM phpbb_confirm WHERE session_id IN [lots and lots of session IDs]

I didn't put in the session ids to spare the length of this post.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
Please follow these steps:
  1. Log into your cPanel (https://x10hosting.com/sso/login) and click on phpMyAdmin (it's under the Databases section)
  2. Click on your phpbb installation's database in the left sidebar
  3. Click on the "SQL" tab in the main pane once it loads, it should open up a text box
  4. Type in TRUNCATE TABLE phpbb_confirm and hit the "Go" button. Click "OK" on the confirmation dialog that appears
  5. Log into phpbb and try changing the captcha settings again

Status
Not open for further replies.