SMTP error

Status
Not open for further replies.

succuba54

Reaction score
Hi, could someone look into this problem for me please, I am not able to receive any emails from my website. Every time I try to test this myself I get this error -

SMTP Error! The following recipients failed: myemailaddress@live.co.uk
SMTP server error: Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client. 550-absolut.x10hosting.com (dougiesbar.co.uk) [198.91.81.2]:56527 is not 550 permitted to relay through this server without authentication.

I even set up another dummy page using a different joomla mail plugin but I still cannot receive any emails.

Thanks for your time.
succuba

phoebex2

Reaction score
If you look at some of the threads below yours, you'll see this is being addressed already. It takes time to get things fixed here sometimes, but I assure you, they're trying.

The support staff for free hosting is mostly volunteers, and I think most of them sleep while I'm awake, but I'm sure someone will at least try to fix this sometime soon. Not all of the staff have the necessary priveleges to change things of this nature, so yeah, it could take a little while.

Sorry I can't do anything real to help, but knowing is half the battle, I hope... Just know that they're trying, and it matters to them.

Edit: in the meantime, some information might help when someone useful reads this, such as are you trying to do a mass emailing, how many at once, and stuff like that.

succuba54

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response phoebex, as long as someone is aware of the problem I can wait.

Regards
succuba

phoebex2

Reaction score
leafypiggy is here, by the way, and can probably explain better than I can, but yeah, it's being worked on.

Glad I could help, even if it's only a little.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
This should be resolved. Please let me know if it's working now.

succuba54

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response Leafypiggy but both the original page or the test contact form is not sending out email.
Try yourself on the contact us page and you will see the error produced.
www.dougiesbar.co.uk
Thanks for your precious time.
succuba

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a feeling this is due to the mail server settings in Joomla (I believe that's what you're using?)

Can you please double check that the SMTP server settings are correct? Also, you could try switching to sendmail instead of smtp.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Also I just rebuilt your DNS zones -- it was corrupt.

Doesn't seem to fix the issue, though.

succuba54

Reaction score
Thanks Neil, yes it is a joomla website.
I never changed anything in Joomla to make it stop working but when I tried to double check I now find that the website is offline with a DNS resolution error 1001.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
I fixed the issue -- you had set the authentication in your Joomla configuration to off. I turned it on, and confirmed that emails sent.

The DNS issues should resolve themselves. I am able to access your site w/o the www.

succuba54

Reaction score
What can I say.... thank you very much for your perseverance with me.
I owe you one large cold beer :)
good luck
succuba

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
As long as it's not bud or coors, I'll take it. ;)

Have a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.