Help with my site

mediaunc

Reaction score
Hey guys, name's Ray and I'm building a website for the first time. The site is for a friend of mine who's an aspiring hip hop DJ / producer.

I would like to do a good job on this but I haven't got much experience in this kind of thing. Are there many people on here who know about HTML that would be willing to give me a hand now and then and answer questions I might have? I'm going to be building this thing over the next couple of months and I know that I'm going to run into problems. I'd really like to find a place where I would be able to go ask some random questions, and some of these questions might be kind of basic, and get help. Like I said, I'm kind of a beginner so some of the questions I ask might seem a little weird to a real web designer. I have a basic knowledge of HTML and I can follow instructions.

Here is what I have now mediauncensored.x10host.com
Now see, I've already got a problem, on the "Artists" page, the pics of the artists aren't showing. On my CPU they work fine but then when I upload, they don't work. I am stumped already so hopefully I can get this figured out soon and move on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading my thread.
Cheers

AngusThermopyle

Reaction score
foo.JPG is not the same file as foo.jpg or FOO.JPG or FoO.jPg -- Windowz doesn't care, while *nix , which runs most of the Web, does. Your links do not match the real file name capitalization.

Best practice: all directory/file/image names in all lower case. And no spaces or special characters ( except period , hyphen, underscore ).

mediaunc

Reaction score
foo.JPG is not the same file as foo.jpg or FOO.JPG or FoO.jPg -- Windowz doesn't care, while *nix , which runs most of the Web, does. Your links do not match the real file name capitalization.

Best practice: all directory/file/image names in all lower case. And no spaces or special characters ( except period , hyphen, underscore ).

Wow, someone replied already. A big thank you to you, my man, really appreciate it.

Ok, I'm going to go check that out and try it. Thanks again for the quick response.

Edit: It worked. Man, I'm so happy about that.

I'm going to keep working on this over the next few weeks, I'm sure I'll run into more little problems like this.

bradleyx

Reaction score
some advice best to learn php as well. php can save you allot of time with editing and deleting and adding data to the site.

Zenax

Reaction score
Hi there,

I understand that this site is still a work in progress, but here are a few tips for you. First off, I like the colour scheme (red has always been my favourite colour).

I see that the website is quite image heavy, and there are a few things you can do to help with the loading of the site. You can use the @font-face rule to custom include the fonts in the CSS. This gives you the benefit of controlling the size, as well as the ability to make changes, without having to change out each image, every time you want to make a change. Here is an example of how to use the @font-face rule:
Code:
@font-face {
    font-family: 'nameoffont';
    src: url('path/to/where/font/is/located');
}

The name you place in the font-family rule will be the name referenced through out your css file. If you would like to use imagery, then you can try lazy loading the images. Try this technique: http://css-tricks.com/snippets/javascript/lazy-loading-images/

Also, the text isn't centered over each of the titles of the page (a little picky I know, but consistency is key!)

If you have the time, learning a framework like Bootstrap or there is Zurb Foundation Framework, both of these add amazing features to your website, like grid systems to keep everything in line.

There is also Wordpress. This blogging platform is so diverse and open it allows you to pretty much do anything to it as it is open source. Now it is more technical than just basic HTML and CSS as it involves learning some PHP, however there is a fantastic tutorial, located here, written by the guys from Treehouse.com. NOTE: The Bootstrap code used in the tutorial is out of date, however if you pick up the basics of Bootstrap before hand you can quite easily convert it over to the newer version of the platform.

Also, I am not a massive fan of the font used in the logo of the page, but I understand it is for a Hip Hop DJ, so perhaps slightly smaller of the font, or somehow trying to make the letters slightly more distinguishable.

I hope some of this helps you, and if you have any more questions, please ask away!