sendmail isnt working

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleyx

Reaction score
nothing is being sent through sendmail or anything of my mailer.

leroymcqy.pcriot.com

bradleyx

Reaction score
smtp isn't working either.

Date:
2014-12-03 04:38:23 (EST)
Error #:
Error Type:
Warning
Error Msg:
fsockopen(): unable to connect to my.inbox.com:465 (Connection timed out)
File
l/index.php
line #:
did a test on smtp connection and i get this error.

when i use mail() or sendmail() i don't get a email specially if it has links or html in it.

btw i am using phpmailer from: http://phpmailer.worxware.com/

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Who are you sending to/from? I'll look it up in the logs.

Also, you will not be able to use remote SMTP on our servers. All email must go through our outbound filter.

bradleyx

Reaction score
i got it to work. but it won't send links. phpmailer nor mail or sendmail will send http:// in it. i have tried so many ways of getting to go through.

its a whole bunch to be honest. its for registration for my site. one of em is warlord1@inbox.com and thygrim@inbox.com i know that. i am getting ones without http:// in em.

bradleyx

Reaction score
it does it with mail() function or using phpmailer class script.

its links with http:// for some reasons. i can't even send out newletters or information about accounts if it has http:// in it

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on what leafy posted the spam score is extremely high; while I'll admit I'm not 100% sure what all the individual flags mean, the one for "MALFORMED_FREEMAIL" is adding 2.999 to the score, which totals 4.209. The second issue is the lack of a non-html version (MIME_HTML_ONLY=1.105). Add in a link or two and it could very well tip the scales to the system thinking it's spam based on other emails we've seen go out that were spam in the past.

At a minimum however, you'd need to fix the headers, which appears to be what's causing the MALFORMED_FREEMAIL flag to be set. Once that's fixed we can look deeper as then the spam-score wouldn't be artificially inflated due to the malformed headers, making it easier to identify the actual problem (and that's assuming that it doesn't fix it - fixing that might be enough to resolve the problem altogether).

bradleyx

Reaction score
ho do i fix that?
this is the code:
Code:
$subject = 'User confirmation'; // Link what the user will use to activate their account
// message
$message = '<html><body>';
$message .= ''.$subject.'&bull;'.$sitename.'';
$message .= '<table rules="all" class="table table-hover" style="border-color: #666;" cellpadding="10">';
$message .= "<tr style='background: #eee;'><td><strong>Username:</strong> </td><td>" . strip_tags($username) . "</td></tr>";
$message .= "<tr><td><strong>Email:</strong> </td><td>" . strip_tags($emails) . "</td></tr>";
$message .= "<tr><td><strong>signupdate:</strong> </td><td>" . strip_tags($dar) . "</td></tr>";
$message .= "<tr><td><strong>Code:</strong> </td><td>" . strip_tags($code) . "</td></tr>";

$addURLS = $link;

$message .= "<tr><td><strong>for activing:</strong> </td><td><a href='" . htmlentities($addURLS) . "'>Verify</a></td></tr>";

$message .= "</table>";
$message .= "</body></html>";

// To send HTML mail, the Content-type header must be set
$headers  = 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\r\n";
$headers .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "\r\n";

// Additional headers

$headers .= 'From: deathwish <thygrim@inbox.com>' . "\r\n";
$rt=mail("$username <$email>", $subject, $message, $headers);
// Mail it

if($rt)
{

echo "mail Sent";
}else
{
   echo"sorry mail failed";
}

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You are still only sending HTML. You absolutely need a plain text MIME part to make it out.

bradleyx

Reaction score
i switched back to phpmailer using sendmail or mail option. it still won't let me send links. i have to do it like this: //www.link.com/ to get it to send. i can't have images in the mail tho.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, for the links you can usually rely on the receiver's email client autoconverting plaintext URLs to links, but images can't happen without HTML. Since you can't spoof the links in plain text — people can see the actual URLs they're clicking, even if they don't always understand them — it automatically has a lower spam score. (That applies both at the outgoing filter and on incoming filters; plain text is less likely to be auto-discarded or sent to a spam folder at the receiving end as well.) Thing is, it's not an either/or situation; you are allowed to send multipart MIME (text/html + text/plain), and most users have their clients set up to prefer the HTML when it's present, so they'll see the HTML version.

bradleyx

Reaction score
http://phpmailer.worxware.com/index.php this is what i am using.

Code:
require_once('../class.phpmailer.php');

$mail = new PHPMailer(); // defaults to using php "mail()"

$body = file_get_contents('contents.html');
$body = eregi_replace("[\]",'',$body);

$mail->AddReplyTo("name@yourdomain.com","First Last");

$mail->SetFrom('name@yourdomain.com', 'First Last');

$mail->AddReplyTo("name@yourdomain.com","First Last");

$address = "whoto@otherdomain.com";
$mail->AddAddress($address, "John Doe");

$mail->Subject = "PHPMailer Test Subject via mail(), basic";

$mail->AltBody = "To view the message, please use an HTML compatible email viewer!"; // optional, comment out and test

$mail->MsgHTML($body);

$mail->AddAttachment("images/phpmailer.gif"); // attachment
$mail->AddAttachment("images/phpmailer_mini.gif"); // attachment

if(!$mail->Send()) {
echo "Mailer Error: " . $mail->ErrorInfo;
} else {
echo "Message sent!";
}

this is what is required to use it.

Code:
$message = '<html><body>';
$message .="Hello deathwish,<br/>
  Someone sent a bug report on $date.";
$message .= '<table rules="all" class="table table-hover" style="border-color: #666;" cellpadding="10">';
$message .= "<tr style='background: #eee;'><td><strong>From:</strong> </td><td>" . strip_tags($email) . "</td></tr>";
$message .= "<tr><td><strong>Bug Report by:</strong> </td><td>" . strip_tags($username) . "</td></tr>";
$message .= "<tr><td><strong>Where it happened:</strong> </td><td>" . strip_tags($cat) . "</td></tr>";
$message .= "<tr><td><strong>Were they logged in?:</strong> </td><td>" . strip_tags($log) . "</td></tr>";
$message .="<tr><td><strong>Report Sent on:</strong></td><td>" . strip_tags($date) . "</td></tr>";
works:
Code:
$addURLS = "//www.gamingnations.tk/?action=bank&id=home&name=$names&acct=$acct_number&verify=verify"; //works//
doesn't work
Code:
$addURLS = "http://www.gamingnations.tk/?action=bank&id=home&name=$names&acct=$acct_number&verify=verify"; //Does Not works//
Code:
  $message .= "<tr><td><strong>comments:</strong> </td><td>" . htmlentities($text) . "</td></tr>";

$message .= "</table>";
$message .= "</body></html>";

Status
Not open for further replies.