Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillerr

Reaction score
I'm shifting hosts and they told me there is no back up option here so could you guys enable back up option or generate a back up for my site please?

Michael

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We do backup our free servers and can restore in some cases.

Michael

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I corrected myself please see above. We currently do not offer users access to backups. You can use FTP and download the site files to backup yourself. We do backup our free servers and can recover files for users in some cases.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
and use phpMyAdmin to export your databases (if any)

chillerr

Reaction score
For us to be able to properly migrate everything on your account (Email accounts, Databases, Forwarders, Mailing lists etc.), we will need either the option on cPanel to generate backups to be enabled, or a full backup tar file generated by your current host which we can download via FTP.

I got sent this!

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
You'd need to set up the email accounts and such manually at your new host, as well as transfer files and database(s) manually as told earlier, we do not offer this option for free hosting at this time

chillerr

Reaction score
You'd need to set up the email accounts and such manually at your new host, as well as transfer files and database(s) manually as told earlier, we do not offer this option for free hosting at this time
That's a pretty cheap way to convince your free hosting users to buy premium hosting.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
That's a pretty cheap way to convince your free hosting users to buy premium hosting.
Hi,

Just to clarify, the absence of the native cPanel backup tool is not a way of encouraging upgrades to x10Premium. As I explained in our private message, the cPanel backup is known to put a lot of pressure on our servers, especially when there are thousands of users on each of our free hosting servers. This shouldn't matter, however, as you can still use FTP and phpMyAdmin to create your own backups, as @Mike and @bdistler have said.

Thank you,

caftpx10

Reaction score
What type of site are you trying to back up here (CMS, forum software, web builder built side, normally coded site..)?

You should be able to manually grab the backups. As @Dead-i said, cPanel's backup feature can get a bit heavy. This could be due to the fact that it has to try setting up the structure of the zip (by that I mean the directories and where the files go) and placing the content into the zip, possibly more could be involved in the process (I have never used this feature before so this is just a guess).

You should be able to place the manual backups on your desired host (without cPanel restore), more work but at the end it'll be there.
If your site uses the database then you'll need to redo the database users in order to connect.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
A long, long time ago we had cPanel backups enabled on free hosting, what would happen is that everyone would schedule automatic backups. With thousands of accounts per server you can probably imagine what happened, especially since everyone likes to pick "12" for the time. :)

So as Dead-i said, it is not an upsell method... it's to keep the servers stable. We're going to end up giving end-user access to our R1Soft backups which will allow users to restore their own files from our archives. I believe this should help with the normal backup option being disabled.

Overall I don't think we really push upsells onto users and offer enough features\resources that you can run any of the most popular scripts available. Our goal isn't to restrict everyone so much the only way they can run a site is to pay us.

Status
Not open for further replies.