temporarily offline

ctjtradi

Reaction score
Hi all, I need to take my site offline for a few weeks but did not want to delete it can anyone show me how to do this please.

caftpx10

Reaction score
If this would involve an external domain then you can remove the name servers from it and change the IPs in the A records to something that isn't X10's (nonexistent is probably what you're wanting). You also may want to remove it from either parted or add-on domains.
This should make the site inaccessible via that domain.

I believe it's possible to do the same to the default sub-domain, but it's not an ideal thing to do.

ctjtradi

Reaction score
If this would involve an external domain then you can remove the name servers from it and change the IPs in the A records to something that isn't X10's (nonexistent is probably what you're wanting). You also may want to remove it from either parted or add-on domains.
This should make the site inaccessible via that domain.

I believe it's possible to do the same to the default sub-domain, but it's not an ideal thing to do.

ctjtradi

Reaction score
its a x10 hosting. Its clear how to save and publish but not so how to unpublish

caftpx10

Reaction score
Other than that, I don't know what else you could do on your side based on what you said. If a user who's able to access and modify accounts were to put your site offline (individual) then you wouldn't be able to see the result's of what was added.

The question here is: are you wanting to be the only one accessing the site?
If so, then you can always go to IP whitelisting.

ctjtradi

Reaction score
Other than that, I don't know what else you could do on your side based on what you said. If a user who's able to access and modify accounts were to put your site offline (individual) then you wouldn't be able to see the result's of what was added.

The question here is: are you wanting to be the only one accessing the site?
If so, then you can always go to IP whitelisting.
ok thanks

ken.gervais89

Reaction score
Hi all, I need to take my site offline for a few weeks but did not want to delete it can anyone show me how to do this please.

Personally, I would simply replace the main index page with a new page that states that your site is "Under Construction", or one that says, "In-house Maintenance In Progress". You can use a graphic (or graphics) if you like, or just plain text to let your visitors your site is down. A return date/time is always a good thing. If you post that it will be down for say, two weeks, help your visitors out by including the date the announcement was placed. You could also say the site will return "the week of........"

I will sometimes stick a notice at the top of the page and slip in a game they can play so their visit isn't a total waste.

caftpx10

Reaction score
Since it seems that you acknowledged what I last typed on the last part, I believe you would need more information.

Now, how this would work is by using .htaccess, the IP allow/deny "commands," and an custom error document. Plenty of guides online of how to pull it off.
You will need to create a file named '.htaccess' (exactly as put in the single quotes) and enter something like this in the file...
Code:
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from 255.255.255.255

ErrorDocument 403 /maintenance.html

Replace 255.255.255.255 with your PUBLIC IP address. You can get this by googling 'ip'.

Also, 'maintenance.html' is an example file that people would end up on (who aren't using the whitelisted IP). You can place this file in a folder or/and rename it, though you would need to change the path set in the .htaccess file.
If you already have a page created for users who aren't you to end up landing in, change the path so that it's pointing to that.