Halt! Who goes there? ... persistent problem accessing the c-panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thom

Reaction score
Please, can anyone Help me fix an ongoing problem?
User Name: wayfarer
Domain Name: wayfarer.x10.mx

I first encountered this problem on Friday, 15 January 2016 and since then have not been able to access my control panel. The location where I try to access my control panel has the IP: 64.134.55.116
During the days since, I have tried many times to access my control panel but each time I try, I am blocked. (See attached Halt Who Goes there.png image)
Instead, I am directed to:
https://x10hosting.com/sso/halt with the following message:

Halt! Who goes there?
Your Internet connection has been blocked due to frequent abuse.
Please get in touch with us if this is a mistake.
You may use the help messenger at the bottom-right of your screen.

On 18 January, I try accessing my control panel at a different location.
The IP address at this location is: 64.134.29.153
Still, I receive the same message: Halt! Who goes there?

Twice, I have cleared my catch and flushed my DNS but the Halt! persists.

On 19 January, I did a restore on my computer, using the Windows 8.1 restore app to return my computer back to a restore point several weeks earlier. Then when I try to access the control panel, nothing has changed, I still get the Halt!

On 20 January, I travel to still another location that provides wifi and this location has the IP: 10.17.98.13, and try again to access my control panel.
This time, I am able to access my account home page but when I click on the button "Open cPanel" it tries to access the control panel but then times out returning with the error page stating: "This page can't be displayed" but also available on the page is a button named "Fix connection problems."
After running the troubleshooter, it returns with:
Problem Found, Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (xo2.x10hosting.com) is not responding. (See attached ProblemsFound.jpg)
Now since it has been eleven days without access to my control panel, I am at a total loss and do not have any idea what to try next. I would really wish to update the journal on my web site.
Please help me solve this problem.
Sincerely, Thom

Attachments

• ProblemsFound.jpg
    ProblemsFound.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Halt Who goes there.png
    Halt Who goes there.png
    460.8 KB · Views: 14

caftpx10

Reaction score
Have you checked if 2083 is being blocked on the network you're on?

Thom

Reaction score
Thank you for your response.
Yes, On a Windows 8.1 computer, from the administrator Command prompt, I have typed this commands:
telnet https://x10hosting.com 2083
...which responds:
Connecting To https://x10hosting.com ...Could not open connection to the host on port 2083: Connect failed

I am not sure what to do next. Maybe you can help me get it right.

caftpx10

Reaction score
The last IP you mentioned is a private IP. Are you using a proxy or VPN by any chance? Proxies are often used in workplaces and schools.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just a quick note: very few public access points allow traffic over non-standard ports (if for no other reason than that they're often used for torrent clients, which will hog all of the bandwidth if allowed).

Thom

Reaction score
Again, thank you caftpx10 for your response.
The IP address 10.17.98.13 is a free Wi-Fi location in a Texas state park and no, I am not using a proxy or VPN. Due to my spending much of my time traveling, my normal access to the internet is from restaurants or coffee shops. Both of the IP: 64.134.##.### addresses are at two fast food restaurants in south Texas along the Rio Grande river.

Thank you essellar, for your response.
I have for over two years and all across the United States, used public access points to upload my web pages to x10hosting.com and never before had this problem.

So, am I to understand that it is the local internet access provider that limits my access to specific ports and not anything on my computer nor the internet hosting service? If this is the case, then, I just need to find a different Wi-Fi location, one that does not restrict access to the port that I need to upload my files.
Wait a minute, no, this does not seem to be the case because I had been using these same local access points for three weeks before this problem appeared, and never once had any problem accessing my control panel. There must be something else that is causing my access to be blocked!

Thom

Last edited:

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
one that does not restrict access to the port that I need to upload my files
I have found that a FTP client like FileZilla has fewer issues than cPanel for uploading files to my x10hosting's free-hosting account account - when using public Wifi

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Those access points tend to be turn-key solutions from only a couple of vendors, and a single security update could explain why everything changed seemingly everywhere. (And yes, FTP/SFTP defaults ports are usually among the "standard" ports left open, along with HTTP/HTTPS and those related to mail.)

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi Thom,

We block internet providers based on the percentage of abusive users that we receive from particular providers. It looks like the issue you are having is related to this system, and the internet provider your public WiFi hotspot is using has been automatically blocked due to abuse, which is why you see the "Halt" message.

However, you should still be able to access cPanel on port 2083. If you are able to access your site but not cPanel, this would indicate a problem with your connection. This is most likely due to the public hotspot.

If you use a different internet connection, you should be able to sign in fine. ;)

Thank you,

Last edited:

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi Thom,

The IP address you specified in your original post should now be allowed to sign in. Please could you try signing in again?

Thank you,

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
The IP address 10.17.98.13 is a free Wi-Fi location
from --> [ http://whois.domaintools.com/10.17.98.13 ]...
for any IP address 10.xxx.xxx.xxx
NetRange: 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
CIDR: 10.0.0.0/8
NetName: PRIVATE-ADDRESS-ABLK-RFC1918-IANA-RESERVED
Comment: These addresses are in use by many millions of independently operated
networks, which might be as small as a single computer connected to a home gateway, and are
automatically configured in hundreds of millions of devices. They are only intended for use
within a private context and traffic that needs to cross the Internet will need to use a
different, unique address.

These addresses can be used by anyone without any need to coordinate with IANA or an Internet registry

IP address' --> [ 64.134.29.153 ] and [ 64.134.55.116 ] are both on a blacklist at --> [ http://www.blacklistalert.org/ ]

Thom

Reaction score
bdistler,
Thank you for your response. I will have to learn how to use the FTP client, FileZilla so that I will have a back up plan for uploading files. I will put that on my todo list.
Thom

esseller,
Again, thanks. That makes sense.
Thom

Hi Thom,
The IP address you specified in your original post should now be allowed to sign in. Please could you try signing in again?
Thank you,

Dead-i,
Thanks again. There are three IP addresses in my original post, which one are you referring to?
Rio Grande City, Tx: 64.134.55.116
Roma, Texas: 64.134.29.153
Texas State Park: 10.17.98.13
If you are referring to the Rio Grande City one, I have already tried here and my access is still blocked.
This weekend, I am planning to travel away from the area that I am currently in and stop at a different public Wi-Fi access location and try accessing my control panel there.
Sincerely, Thom

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi Thom,

I had whitelisted the IP address you were originally posting from, which was 64.134.55.116. Please could you confirm whether you are still seeing the Halt message?

Thank you,

Thom

Reaction score
Yes, I am at the original location, and after trying, I am still not able to access my control panel. So, I do further investigation as to the IP address at this location and find out the following:

At whatismyipaddress.com, it returns with: Your IPv4 Address Is: 64.134.55.116
Also, at myipaddress.com, it returns the same ip address: 64.134.55.116
At ip2location.com, it returns 64.134.55.116 but in the same window, it shows on the geolocation map that I am located near Waycross, Georgia, which I am not, but, in Rio Grande City, Texas at mickey d's.

However, when I use the command prompt, I get a different return. The information under the heading Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi is as follows:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix: mcd11976.aus.wayport.net
Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::8d3:ec1d:cc04:fc44%4
IPv4 Address: 192.168.5.46
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.5.1

Next, I get out my android phone, log on to the wifi and go to the settings, wi-fi networks and find the IP address that my phone is using to be 192.168.5.176
So, since I am new to this line of information, I am confused as to what my IP address really is.

Last edited:

Thom

Reaction score
Sunday, 31 January 2016
Dear Fellow Forum Friends,

Today, I drive south from Rio Grande City about fifty mile to Mission, Texas and stop at a (large chain) coffee shop, go in to access the Wi-Fi and then log in to my control panel.

Without receiving a Halt or any other error message, I am directed right to the c-panel. Too, I am able to upload, download and do any and all the tasks that I regularly accomplish using the apps in the c-panel.

Although I am excited about having access to the c-panel restored, I am also saddened because I know that in the future, if something does not change, I will need to travel fifty miles from Rio Grande City down into the city each time I want to upload my daily journal entries to my web page.

Nevertheless, I wish to express my sincere thanks to everyone who has taken the time to pound a few keys in the effort to help me resolve this "Halt! Who goes there? ... persistent problem accessing the c-panel"

Yours truly, Thom
www.thewayfarersjournal.com Come Join the Journey!

Status
Not open for further replies.