School firewall blocks cPanel, any bypass methods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeysep2

Reaction score
Hello fellow x10 users, does anyone know how to bypass blocking on port 2083? From what I know, it gives me ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED when trying to access it in Chrome, and Can't connect to the server in Safari.

And NO, I cannot use a proxy or VPN, my school blocks all proxy sites, and we can't open up any apps unless they're approved by an administrator (Principal, school board member, tech worker, etc.)

epicure2

Reaction score
Other than setting up your own (free)proxy server, I can't imagine there's another way to circumvent your school's network/firewall. Since x10hosting is a free service, it's unlikely they will change the cpanel port assignments (2082/2083).

edtechx1

Reaction score
Have you tried setting up a remote desktop to your pc at home?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Then you're out of luck, I'm afraid. cPanel is only accessible via the default port on Free Hosting, and that's not going to be changed. Free Hosting, of necessity, is locked down pretty tight. You'll need to access your account from somewhere else other than the school network if you can't get local admins to open the port for you (and it sounds like they're kind of tired of dealing with 1337 haxorz themselves, so even if your intentions are honest, I wouldn't give you more than a tiny glint of hope there).

edtechx1

Reaction score
Just to be clear, when you say you can't open do you mean you can't open apps or do you mean you can't install them? If your school system is setup anything like ours you can open the remote desktop application (provided they included it in the install (it's part of the base install from win 7 on I think so unless they specifically removed it i'd think it would be there)) you just wouldn't be able to connect to any school resources. However (if it's like ours), you could very well be able to connect to resources outside of the schools control. I regularly use the remote desktop function from my school computer to fart with a Raspberry that I have running a weather station at my house. To this point my students haven't asked how I'm doing it.

joeysep2

Reaction score
Well, this thread just got my school laptop confiscated. Apparently, their records show that I was looking for 'Bypass methods' to the filter. So, won't be needing this thread for a while!

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

That's concerning - I wouldn't say you were looking for a "bypass method".

In any case, we currently do not have a method of accessing cPanel over port 80, because we force SSL on cPanel, sorry. If it's at all possible, it's worth talking to your IT Department about getting access to port 2083 if you need it. We already have many educational institutions using x10Hosting for educational purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.