Website not appearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorx10ho

Reaction score
I've uploaded all my project files using FileZilla, but how do I make the actual website appear, instead of a list of folders with files in them?

I've never done this before, so sorry for the simple question.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I've uploaded all my project files using FileZilla, but how do I make the actual website appear, instead of a list of folders with files in them?
I've never done this before, so sorry for the simple question.
Hi dorx10ho,
there is a few ways you could do it,
a common way is to create an index.htm, index.html or index.php file.
then create a .htaccess file or in an existing one add the following...

DirectoryIndex index.php
IndexIgnore *

the IndexIgnore * will stop listing the files and folders when visiting your website.
DirectoryIndex forces your index page to load when someone visits your sites link.

dorx10ho

Reaction score
Thank you spacresx.
Do I create these files in the file manager or in my local folder?

I made my site with Visual Studio, and I have only .cshtml extensions. Will your advice still work? Or is there some other way to deploy a VS project onto x10hosting?

dorx10ho

Reaction score
I will just clarify my question: I made .NET Core app in VS 2017. I would like to deploy it to my site here on x10hosting. I have not yet figured out how to do this, neither through publishing in VS, nor with FileZilla. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
I made my site with Visual Studio, and I have only .cshtml extensions
-
a CSHTML file is a C# ("C sharp") HTML webpage file used by Razor, an ASP.NET view engine used for generating Web pages for a user's Web browser; similar to a standard ASP.NET webpage (.ASP or .ASPX file), but uses a slightly different syntax; runs on a Web server, which generates the HTML for the client Web browser; can be programmed with syntax highlighting and Intellisense code suggestions using Microsoft Visual Studio.

[ asp.net ] will not work on a x10hosting's free-hosting account - in any way or shape or form
###

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Thank you spacresx.
Do I create these files in the file manager or in my local folder?

I made my site with Visual Studio, and I have only .cshtml extensions. Will your advice still work? Or is there some other way to deploy a VS project onto x10hosting?
Hi dorx10ho,
ive never used .cshtml extensions so honestly i dont know about that.
you can always try it and see if it works, just set 1 page as the main page and add it to the .htaccess
if it dont work maybe someone else can help getting it deployed for you.

dorx10ho

Reaction score
-
a CSHTML file is a C# ("C sharp") HTML webpage file used by Razor, an ASP.NET view engine used for generating Web pages for a user's Web browser; similar to a standard ASP.NET webpage (.ASP or .ASPX file), but uses a slightly different syntax; runs on a Web server, which generates the HTML for the client Web browser; can be programmed with syntax highlighting and Intellisense code suggestions using Microsoft Visual Studio.

[ asp.net ] will not work on a x10hosting's free-hosting account - in any way or shape or form
###
Thank you, bdistler. I wish I had asked earlier. Can you recommend any inexpensive hosting options for such a project?

Status
Not open for further replies.