503 Server error

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielle.seiley61

Prime Account
Reaction score
Last month on July 20th, I rebuilt my website using Joomla 3.8.0. I basically wiped all of the files off the server and did a clean install of Joomla. I haven't been experiencing any problems until this past Sunday. On Sunday I attempted to upgrade one of my extensions and it didn't work, tried again with same result. I uninstalled the extension, installed the new version, & made some changes to the database. While working with this new version something happened to the menu portion of my database, and the majority of my site's menu items' alias were modified.

I deleted almost the entire menu table and began rebuilding it from scratch.

Yesterday, Monday, several times throughout the course of the day as I attempted to save items and move throughout Joomla's administrator control panel I kept experiencing 503 Server Errors.

Earlier this afternoon, Tuesday, when I came online to finish what I've just put the past 48hrs of my life into I was hit with another 503 error and this time it won't go away.

According to the server I'm using 100% of my virtual memory usage. I have gone through my admin folder, components folder, plugins folder, etc... and threw away almost everything that wasn't part of the joomla core. Those folders that I deleted are still in the trash, I have not emptied my trash.

It did not fix this problem. I have gone into my database and made backup after backup after backup of several parts of my database and deleted those tables belonging to those extensions that I've thrown in the trash.

I do not know what's going on, I have no idea how to track down the problem. My virtual memory usage has never been this high for this long.

I need HELP! Something's obviously not working correctly.

Thanks

nishan

Prime Account
Reaction score
Hi Danielle

My site too is giving 503 errors. Seems a problem with the illuminated server. Can logon to cPanel though. According to pingdom it has been down for the last 5 hours. Hope somebody is looking in to this.

I noticed something funny in the cPanel. My CPU, memory and IO usage is 0% as expected since the site is down. But I have 14 - 16 Entry Processes when I refresh the cPanel.

According to web "An "Entry Process" is how many PHP scripts you have running at a single time. "

Can anybody explain to me how can there be such a number when the site is down?

Thank you

Last edited:

danielle.seiley61

Prime Account
Reaction score
Thank you so much for responding, I thought this was only happening to me since no one else posted anything in the community forum. I don't know what to say about the entry processes cause I've never actually looked at that before, but my processes never get that high. Now that I've been keeping an eye on it. My CPU usage doesn't seem to get any higher than 2% currently & my physical memory doesn't usually get higher than 10% even though my site's down. I've started wondering if the server could be under attack, but then if it was wouldn't it have gone down then?

lylex10h

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, do you have Always Online enabled in your Cloudflare Caching settings?

With the error "unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems.", my guess is under attack, but could easily be maintenance or something else.

danielle.seiley61

Prime Account
Reaction score
To answer your question Lylex10h yes, I have Always Online enabled.

To the server admins:
My server is still experiencing 100% Virtual Memory Usage & trying to visit my site is still spitting out the 503 Service Unavailable Error.

This downtime is killing my business & my reputation. My Alexa traffic rank which was in the 5 million range back in May has gone up to 364,903 as of yesterday. Because of this downtime, my traffic rank has now dropped to 364,922. This is NOT good for my business. I was well on my way to having a 350,000 traffic rank score before the end of the month.

I understand that this is a free service, and as a result we might not get the latest software updates or whatever, but we are potential x10hosting customers. I was with the service for just over a year and then became a prime member. Then I became an Illuminated customer. I've made it clear that I'm willing to renew my service, but this is turning into the second major outage for me since April and that's made me start serious considerations in looking for a new host before next year. The only reason I was looking into leaving in January was because of the lack of support for SSL certificates.

What really bothers me is the lack of consideration from x10 staff & volunteers to us the users. It doesn't take more than 5 minutes to log into the forums and see what needs to be responded to. I'd be more than willing to volunteer 5 minutes of my time every couple of hours to just login to the forum and see if there are any issues that need to be taken care. Then I'd forward the information to whoever, & respond in the forum letting the user know that it's been seen, forwarded, & hopefully taken care of soon. Honestly, that's all I'm asking for here is for someone to step up and say hey, I'm not the server admin, but I have forwarded your problem to the server admin and they'll get to it as soon as possible.

I'm sure this problem will be addressed & fixed before the first of September, but what I want to know & hear is that x10hosting is going to do a better job of responding to us the users when outages like this take place, or I may be leaving come September. I started looking for a new host & found one during the last outage, but I'm trying to give x10 an opportunity to keep my business.

nishan

Prime Account
Reaction score
The sites are still down (2 days now) Wish a admin would keep us updated at least on the issue. I seems some issue with mod_bwlimited as am now getting the following message

Resource Limit Is Reached
The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later. Apache/2.4.29 (Unix) OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips mod_bwlimited/1.4 Server at amazinglanka.com Port 80

nishan

Prime Account
Reaction score
Any admin aware of this issue? Please give us an update

thank you

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Last month on July 20th, I rebuilt my website using Joomla 3.8.0. I basically wiped all of the files off the server and did a clean install of Joomla. I haven't been experiencing any problems until this past Sunday. On Sunday I attempted to upgrade one of my extensions and it didn't work, tried again with same result. I uninstalled the extension, installed the new version, & made some changes to the database. While working with this new version something happened to the menu portion of my database, and the majority of my site's menu items' alias were modified.

I deleted almost the entire menu table and began rebuilding it from scratch.

Yesterday, Monday, several times throughout the course of the day as I attempted to save items and move throughout Joomla's administrator control panel I kept experiencing 503 Server Errors.

Earlier this afternoon, Tuesday, when I came online to finish what I've just put the past 48hrs of my life into I was hit with another 503 error and this time it won't go away.

According to the server I'm using 100% of my virtual memory usage. I have gone through my admin folder, components folder, plugins folder, etc... and threw away almost everything that wasn't part of the joomla core. Those folders that I deleted are still in the trash, I have not emptied my trash.

It did not fix this problem. I have gone into my database and made backup after backup after backup of several parts of my database and deleted those tables belonging to those extensions that I've thrown in the trash.

I do not know what's going on, I have no idea how to track down the problem. My virtual memory usage has never been this high for this long.

I need HELP! Something's obviously not working correctly.

Thanks
With the help of another admin we have managed to sort the initial error, but as it looks now you have a corrupted/missing table. It might work with repairing the database or you could try restoring it using the Acronis icon found in cPanel

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Danielle

My site too is giving 503 errors. Seems a problem with the illuminated server. Can logon to cPanel though. According to pingdom it has been down for the last 5 hours. Hope somebody is looking in to this.

I noticed something funny in the cPanel. My CPU, memory and IO usage is 0% as expected since the site is down. But I have 14 - 16 Entry Processes when I refresh the cPanel.

According to web "An "Entry Process" is how many PHP scripts you have running at a single time. "

Can anybody explain to me how can there be such a number when the site is down?

Thank you
Each attempt to run a script, even if it ends with an error would still result in an entry process, and the error may actually cause the process to not release the resources properly and timely and thus go to resource limits hit in the end.

I did have an issue with too many redirects, but that seem to have sorted right now, but could be something worth looking into.

danielle.seiley61

Prime Account
Reaction score
With the help of another admin we have managed to sort the initial error, but as it looks now you have a corrupted/missing table. It might work with repairing the database or you could try restoring it using the Acronis icon found in cPanel

When I talked about the menu table in my database, I had it completely rebuilt by Monday morning. Well over 24hrs before my site went down. Today you're telling me that I have a corrupted/missing table? Can you give me more information?

At 7:00AM CST I re-uploaded all of my tables that I had deleted. In addition I've been trying to keep an eye on my resource usage and everything looks good. So what exactly happened?

nishan

Prime Account
Reaction score
Thank you Anna. as usual its you finally come to the rescue.

nishan

Prime Account
Reaction score
Each attempt to run a script, even if it ends with an error would still result in an entry process, and the error may actually cause the process to not release the resources properly and timely and thus go to resource limits hit in the end.

I did have an issue with too many redirects, but that seem to have sorted right now, but could be something worth looking into.

The Entry Processes now seems to be okay now hovering around '0'.

One more I noticed now, scripts seems faster. I have a script for google maps API on each page. They seems to be loading the map significantly faster now.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have any access to the server in question, so I can't really take credit for sorting it out.

All I know is that something (poorly written script likely) were hogging resources and the tech did, as one measure, close up the some processes that looked weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.