Email and cpanel access failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormsto

Reaction score
Hi,

My email has been failing all day with auth error and I'm unable to access the cpanel. I'm aware of the scheduled maintenance but should this cause my email to fail for the whole day. Would you please take a look.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
practically all free services are effected by the changes.
it is not just "maintenance" going on, they are replacing cpanel.
and it could effect your account for a few days or more.
so best thing to do is sit back and wait it out.
until they have finished the changes.

sebnpals

Reaction score
I am pretty sure the Email services they provide thru CPanel are not functioning because of this CPanel to DirectAdmin migration.

I would say we could look at their twitter page but they haven't been updated since 2016 as for their facebook page it says they updated their hrs on June 21 2019

apple2

Reaction score
This is really bad. I use the email for some thing I rely on. Worked fine for years and I've grown to depend on it. Now I am hosed.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just to add, On a personal note I have never relied on my hostings e-mail.
especially from a free service such as x10hosting or any other free hosting.
while the service is nice to have included in your free services, Never rely on it.
I use G-mail or my isp account as a primary e-mail source for depended email service.
If you need email to be reliable as a service id suggest the same.
But thats just my opinion.

apple2

Reaction score
I would never use Gmail. They know way too much about me as it is; providing personal information to a company whose only business is to sell it to others is a definition of insanity as far as I can tell. I'd rather deal with incompetence and service interruptions any day.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I was only providing a suggestion considering the alternatives.
there is no telling how long the services may be down/effected
by the change from cpanel to the other panel.
also no telling if there will be more problems or not either.

cjptomas80

Reaction score
Gmail and Gsuite's Gmail are different since the latter is the customer owns their data, not Google but it is a paid service. After all this is an opinion of mine. There's always an alternative.

Last edited:

apple2

Reaction score
We all have opinions. Mine is that this is a pretty good way to get rid of the free service tier. CPanel is no excuse for cutting off people's email access. It's like saying "my front door is broken, so you can't call me on the phone". If the monthly login requirement is not in effect until the upgrade is over (as the announcement states), why did my account get suspended with no recourse (because I can't log in for 6 days now!) instead of remaining unsuspended? Yeah, it's a free service, but this is just wrong. Don't offer it if you don't intend to go through with the minimum.

Also why would anyone use software that depends on a whim of some company? I can't understand why people use Windows, and if I had any thought that my access to email would be cut off because of a choice (made by a 'professional' providing a service) that is even worse than Windows, I would run for the hills. Wake up, people. It is not the 80s - there is a lot of choice out there for libre software that cannot ever, ever get locked up all of a sudden.

I guess it is a learning process for us all. I used this service as a toy for a while, but it was solid and reliable and I've grown to respect it and used it for more important things. Note to self: don't rely on proprietary software. Don't rely on proprietary services. Do everything yourself.

Last edited:

susanna4

Reaction score
While I agree that some advance notice would have been extremely helpful, I have to say that I disagree about this being a good way to get rid of free users. Sure, some users might leave because of this issue, but this is about a server migration that is necessary in order to keep the site free.

I have not been using x10host for very long, just a few months. I am building a website for my music (I am a songwriter/composer) and it's likely I will switch over to the paid version once my site is finished, or else I will move my site elsewhere if x10host won't meet my needs (I did look into various options and chose x10host as a good long-term home for my website before I signed up).

Time will tell, but I see no reason to forecast disaster at this time. This is a temporary setback.

apple2

Reaction score
Forecasting is a wrong term here - it's been a week of no email and no access for me. Disaster is perhaps too dramatic too. But it is well under way, whatever it is. Anyone who needs the services we've been denied is likely to be gone already, and those who don't are probably irrelevant anyway (they will probably not upgrade to a paid tier). Is denying services to free customers a good way to get rid of them? It is not a grownup way, it is not good in any moral sense, but it will accomplish just that. If I put on my 'capitalist' hat, it is a good thing for the company to not waste resources on freeloaders. Removing the hat, with my 'anarchist' bald-cap on, I think that providing a no-charge place for people to do stuff usually leads to wonderful things, if you can minimize the overhead.
With that, I've been extremely grateful to X10. They did the right thing, until now. I don't know what is happening now, even remotely. I would totally be supportive if I was told up-front that due to CPanel replacement there is no access to my account for updates, so things remain frozen. I would be fine if I was warned that email would be shut down for a month (with a little notice). Or even everything shut down for a month. A few days notice would be fine.
But CPanel is not a good reason to turn off all services. It's an excuse - legally speaking. CPanel screwed its licensees by denying free access to an installed base of customers. X10 turned around and screwed us the same way, without notice. CPanel is a separate front end for managing stuff. If it is erased, the email server, the web server, ftp access etc. continues functioning. But whatever.

challe14

Reaction score
Fortunately I don't rely on my email associated with x10, but hopefully service can be restored soon.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I appreciate the service and free hosting provided by x10hosting.
i also try to help in the forums if i think i can help.

but i also know not to rely on free hosting.
its usually ok for me & what i need it for,
i dont rely on it like many others here appear to rely on it.
it puzzles me if they rely on it so much why not go for paid.
paid accounts get looked after much better than free ones do.

im anxious to see what features the new control panel
will offer us free users, knowing x10hosting wont include everything that comes in the control panel.
it would still be interesting to see something different,
im willing to wait it out just to see.

susanna4

Reaction score
From my understanding, FTP is working just fine. I hadn't used FTP myself since about 2003, and the client I downloaded was a little bit confusing, but I was able to download my entire website so that I could make offline changes that I can upload when we have a GUI capable of handling those updates. If this goes on another week, I'm going to have to find a more user-friendly FTP and update that way. The only problem is that some of the things I'm doing will require me to be able to check on multiple devices (i.e. Smartphone, tablet, etc) to make sure it's displaying properly, and I can't do that unless the files are actually online.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
@ susanna4
FTP is working fine, (so far) i use it almost daily.
The FTP clients can be fussy at times, but im lucky my dreamweaver cs5 works good.
(dreamweaver is my html editor & ftp client in 1)

most individual FTP clients lets you upload and download files.
for previewing your files before you upload you need an html editor that has preview.
although they only let you preview the html pages, they dont preview php pages.
unless you have a preset server set up on your computer that has php support.
even my dreamweaver cs5 only lets me preview html pages. not my php pages.
as for checking multiple devices you wouldn't really be able to.
not unless you have those devices to check them on.
or your editor lets you preview them in those settings.

but you should be able to upload and replace files with any ftp client.
and still view your website changes.

susanna4

Reaction score
I should be able to, and I had a website that only had ftp available for several years. I used WS FTP LE back then, I tried a different one this time and could not figure out how to upload with it.

I create web pages in Notepad, I test them in a web browser on a PC before uploading, then after I upload, I make sure it displays properly on other devices. I am very new to CSS, in fact I only decided to finally learn CSS a couple months ago because of depreciated HTML tags. I am trying to use php to display my menu on all my pages. I have the CSS version hiding behind an older 100% HTML version until I can get the menu to display, and I need to be able to upload/check/edit to get that working correctly. That's what I think I should wait for something less cumbersome to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.