Unable to un-suspend my account

Status
Not open for further replies.

apple2

Reaction score
Sure, CPanel screwed their customers. But: 1) Using proprietary software is a bad judgment call, especially when it is free of charge (beware the drug dealer offering free samples); and 2) CPanel has little to do with the functioning of the site.

To elaborate: I can FTP into my site; the email is coming in, and everything is functioning. All X10 had to do was suspend the cron job that shitlists users who haven't logged in. The cost: a few stale accounts would fail to age out for a couple of weeks while the replacement of CPanel was installed. The benefit: happy users; no downtime; reputation preserved. There was no reason for any of this: what is the harm of letting people get their email or serve some web pages for a few days? Without CPanel users can't change configuration, but the existing configuration should not be affected. That is entirely acceptable given the situation - for however long it takes to resolve. First do no harm!

Since it looks like no one has touched the servers at least since the 15th when my account was suspended - my working theory is that the proprietor of X10 is a luddite who can't tell his ass from a server, and his 12-year-old nephew who set up the system is away for the holidays. Or worse yet, this is a childish ploy to get rid of the likes of me, who's been using the service for almost 10 years.

Now before I hear any of this 'what can you expect for free', I can expect a lot. The free tier is good advertising and people like me are instrumental in bringing paying customers. I've been a big fan; my load on the system is minimal, and the excellent uptime and lack of any issues whatsoever over a decade had convinced me to vouch for X10 to many businesses and individuals with various levels of web sites. Which is why it is extremely upsetting to have those people be unable to get in touch with me at my X10 email address! Not to mention those who are directly screwed by X10 just like I am.

To reiterate: it is not CPanel that is causing our troubles. It is the shitlisting script that was not turned off. The part of the system that was not polluted by it (ftp services, incoming email) works fine. The servers are up and operational, except for the script that the geniuses slapped together to annoy free users.

P.S. I logged in through the sso/login page. As I've done for about a decade now. I actually know a few things about computers, networking, and running a business.

Last edited:

apple2

Reaction score
A quick update: My main page is redirected to cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi, and that page is redirected to itself! That must have taken some expertise. I swear, it's like watching a monkey with a typewriter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.