bad password, but it isnt!

SylvanOgre

Reaction score
Trying to ftp with main/default user name for my account: scp from (linux) command line fails with "bad password" error. filezilla (linux again) using main/default user works fine.
Created secondary ftp user in DirectAdmin with a known password (different from main user): scp from command line fails with "bad password" error.

what am I missing here?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the main issue is the use of SCP, as if I'm not mistaken that uses SSH to connect, something that is not available on free hosting.

SylvanOgre

Reaction score
ah. that explains it.
would WPUT work? Probably not for security reasons?

attempting to put my home public ip address in a place where (only) I can find it. maybe upload it twice a day or something like that.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
WPUT seems like it would work. i'm not familiar with it, but I wouldn't mind helping you figure out if it would. You might want to consider using a dynamic DNS service. Some of them are free and also have a daemon that will update your DNS every time your router gets a new IP.

SylvanOgre

Reaction score
Oh? I thought all of the free DDNS services had disappeared.

Implementing WPUT was more straightforward than I thought. I didnt think it would work for security reasons, but I hadnt done any homework on it, either.
I guess I can now be of help to someone instead of asking all of the time! ;);)

SylvanOgre

Reaction score
Hmm...
WPUT only seems to work with Direct Admin account.
Tried creating a secondary ftp account, but authentication fails, both with WPUT and Filezilla.

Seems to be a Direct Admin password issue, again?
(Tried changing my DirectAdmin password awhile back, and the change didnt "stick". When I check/create/modify password of secondary ftp account, the existing password does not show, and it seems the password I enter doesnt get saved.)
It seems a password is required, however the one I am entering doesnt match the one Direct Admin has on file. Is it a base64 encode/decode error on the server side or something?