2009: Custom Domain Name Extensions

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DeadBattery, Jun 27, 2008.

1. DeadBattery

DeadBattery Community Support Team Community Support

That's right! Soon the internet will have custom domain name extensions like .ebay, for example. The application fee for a domain name under the proposed system has not been determined, but estimates say the price could range from €25,000 to €250,000 [£19,700 - £197,000], placing such domain extensions out of the reach of most consumers, as well as most potential cyber squatters.

2. Derek

Derek Community Support Force Community Support

Oh that's nice like Derek.MYLASTNAME

3. DeadBattery

DeadBattery Community Support Team Community Support

First take a look at the price. ;)

4. Daniel S

Daniel S New Member

Yes I think it is going to be expensive to run a website with a domain extension of your choice. (I hope we will still be able to register .com and .co.uk etc for the same price as now.)

5. TechAsh

TechAsh Retired

The problem with this is that only the very very rich companies/people are going to be able to do this. It would be great is they set it up so that anyone could choose anything they wanted without having to pay thousands and thousands of dollars/pounds.

I don't think this will affect current domain extensions, so it shouldn't affect the price.

6. alexandgruntz

alexandgruntz New Member

$100,000 for a domain name? I'm sticking with $30 .nz names or free .co.nr ones.

7. Daniel S

Daniel S New Member

Yes well I purchased my .co.uk domain for £5.88 (About $11.76) for two years.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  8. componentwarehouse

componentwarehouse New Member

I dont see much point in them myself - I mean, what would it be, ebay.ebay? or something like home.ebay? It just seems a bit stupid really. I spose Google could use it, like adsense.google, but then you could just make it adsense.google.com for free, so...

Alex

9. Livewire

Livewire Abuse Compliance Officer Staff Member

How about custom extensions for TV channels?

Showname.WIPBS for Wisconsin PBS channels.
    Showname.G4
    Showname.HBO
    Showname.ABC
    Showname.CNN
    Showname.NBC
    Showname.WGN
    Showname.Weather (hey, weather channel does do specials every once in a while)

Gotta admit, THAT I can see. It'd basically just be a fancy way to separate your sites from every other .com out there. Specially for tv stations, could come in handy cause every one of your shows could be hosted at a .StationAbbreviation address :)

Other than that though I don't see much logic to it. Even this would turn into something very expensive too if you had to pay the fee for every site you wanted hosted at .g4 for instance (AND if you cant copyright or lock-out the ending so no one else could use the same one).

I have to admit I'm not very edumicated on this particular issue, just pointing out it's got uses with the more money-laden among us who run companies but theres no much logic to it for any one of the casual users.