A child frozen in time

n4tec

Reaction score
Watching your children grow up is one of the pleasures of being a parent— and for Howard and Melanie Greenberg, who live in suburban Baltimore with their four daughters, the milestones and memories are countless. Brooke is the third of the Greenberg’s children.

"She giggles, she laughs, she recognizes her mother and her father, and she loves to be tickled. She loves her sisters," says Melanie.

It all sounds rather ordinary, but for Brooke, things were never quite typical— even from the beginning when Melanie was pregnant with her. "They checked for growth size every month. One month she would be fine, one month she would just stop and play catch up," recalls Melanie.

"Brooke was a little on the small side, but nothing abnormal," says dad Howard. "I mean you couldn’t really tell until you witnessed the birth and you saw Brooke."

A premature baby
Melanie and Howard first saw Brooke sooner than expected. She arrived one month early and weighed only 4 lbs. She was born with a problem with her hips— a rare condition called anterior hip dislocation.

"Her hips were dislocated from where they normally would be," says Dr. Lawrence Pakula, Brooke's pediatrician. "Hers were pushing forward and put her legs in a very awkward position."

Very early in her life, Brooke had to have surgery, be put in casts and lie on her back with her feet up in the air. "The hope is that this would give her much better function," says Pakula.

At this point, Howard and Melanie still thought they were going to have a normal child.

However, when Brooke was about a year old, Howard and Melanie grew more concerned. Now the worry was not Brooke’s hips, but why Brooke remained about the size of a 6-month-old. While their other daughters were growing, maturing, Brooke seemed to be frozen in time.

"She really was not growing to the rate that she should have been growing," says Howard. "I remember the doctor saying that when Brooke enters say 4th grade she’ll be like at the first grade level. We could live with that, we had no problem with that. We really did not know the road we were about to take with Brooke."

More Here

------------------------------

It is a true story.. You can probably say she is 12 years going to 6 months old..

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
WOW! That just sucks. I wonder how tall she would be when she gets older....

n4tec

Reaction score
MicrotechXP said:
WOW! That just sucks. I wonder how tall she would be when she gets older....

if she does get older..

n4tec

Reaction score
gamez93 said:
What - do you mean by
if she does get older..
- r u trying to say that she dosn't get older.

She is old according to a calendar but the :( bit is that she will still look like a baby..

humphrey

Reaction score
when i read these stories, i think- why do we get to be all healthy and such but not other people? really touching :-[

N

Nathan

I seen this on Digg a few days ago, at first I thought it was an actual frozen baby (misleading title). But turns out it's a birth defect, a really sad thing to happen.