Account reset button needed.

mattpine8282

Reaction score
I had to request an account deletion because the file manager gets messy with unused files and I don't want to delete files I shouldn't. All I really wanted to do was reset the file manager to when it was originally created to clean up the mess. I'm suggesting an account reset button so people don't have to go through the process of creating a new account just to clean up file manager without messing it up. The way it should work is there should be a "reset file manager to original" button and when clicked a "confirm file manager reset" question comes up. You click "confirm" and the file manager is reset to original condition.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
The system (should) prevent you from deleting important system files, so there shouldn't be a risk of accidentally deleting something that you shouldn't that would prevent your account from working.

That said, do NOT delete the following files and folders, even if FTP or the File Manager lets you. You can (and should) delete everything INSIDE of them to reset your account, but don't delete the file/folder itself

- /public_ftp
- /public_html
- /www
- /mail
- /public_html/index.html (technically not necessary, but sometimes your site redirects to an error page if you don't have an index.something file, such as index.html or index.php)

Stuff you should definitely do if you want to reset your account to the default:
- Delete everything inside of public_html
- Delete everything inside of public_ftp
- Delete all of your email accounts from cPanel
- Delete all of your MySQL databases from cPanel
- Delete all of your addon domains, parked domains, and subdomains from cPanel
- Delete the .cpanel directory, as well as everything inside of it (you'll need to enable viewing of hidden files to see this)
- Delete the .htpasswds directory
- Delete any .htaccess file in your home directory (the root directory of the file manager/FTP)
- Alternatively, open a support ticket asking for your account to be reset, as we have a script that can do all of that automatically in a way that will not break your account.

mattpine8282

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, really!!!

I did exactly what you said and now my form works and I don't get a 404 error when I go to view my website. The website is just a premade template I experiment with for knowledge and experience. The form is from the template and I wasn't receiving emails from it. I had my account reset once and it is now on the boru server instead of the chopin server; I don't know if that had anything to do with the form not sending emails or not. Either way; I setup and published everything the same as I always did and now everything works.

Thanks a lot, really!!!

clock89

Reaction score
hi, im haivng the same problem, i requested an account reset but it hasnt been done yet.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
CPanel uses a very linux like setup that isn't what Windows users are used to. In Windows, you have the registry. If you accidentally delete the registry, you essentially don't even have Windows installed anymore. Linux doesn't use a registry; it uses the filesystem. When you delete these files, you are deleting your registry. Some of the stuff can be easily re-created and some of it can not.

I believe the same reason that X10Hosting does not manually create accounts for users for any reason is the same reason we cannot just reset your account. The chances of everything not working again are really quite high. The files are there for a reason. If they could be replaced at any time, then they wouldn't be there in the first place.

Why are these files accessible in the first place then, you may ask. The information in the files is extremely useful. You could back up your entire CPanel and then have another server running CPanel process the backup and restore everything. You can run a PHP script that will read your email for you, sort it, filter it, translate it to another language and forward it based on rules in a MySQL database using only file access to your mail folders.

I do think it's a bad idea these files can't be more hidden by default. I think it's a bad idea the default FTP user has read/write permission inside of the user folder. I think it's a bad idea that the files aren't in some sort of scary named folder like "YOU WILL BREAK EVERYTHING IF YOU TOUCH THIS FOLDER!!!!!" I think it's a bad idea that there is no Recycling Bin/Trash Can (Since most users are Windows users and are used to this safety net that Linux servers almost never have.) The problem is that all of this is hardcoded into CPanel and can't be changed (or even if it could be changed, every time CPanel upgrades, the changes would break the system).

So, to end my rant here, I think CPanel needs to add this feature before X10Hosting will be able to offer it to its users. Even if the administrators are going to spend time developing a script to do this, which I don't think they will given the amount of other upgrades they have planned, I wouldn't expect the feature to come out soon because of the amount of research, development, testing, bug fixing, implementation, and maintenance time involved.

This is a great request! There are a number of requests for account resets and this feature would save a lot of time and hassle, but I don't think it's viable.

Edit: I forgot to give credit to what Skizzers wrote, because this will restore almost every file, maybe even all of them. Luckily, CPanel will create a default file if it finds there is not one, there's just no "automagic" way of doing it because every users' files are not identical, setting file permission, etc.

Last edited: