Advantages V Disadvantages - One database - Many Scripts

Fearghal

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was thinking about just using one root database for my site and just having unique prefixes for each script. I would like to know more about the advantages and disadvantages of this.

So far, the only disadvantage I can see would be database security. Since there would only be one password protecting every piece of data on the site, opposed to separate databases with separate passwords.

I'm not really sure if speed would be an issue, it could possibly be.

Advantages I can see;
  • Easier to backup/restore
  • Save SQL database slots
  • Easier to link user accounts within seperate software. Eg. Forum & Ticket System

So, am I missing any advantages or disadvantages?

Last edited:

phazzedout

Reaction score
I use many but that is because I got used to it.

Why did I get used to it you ask? Well I thought you could only use one at a time, if that makes sense. Now I just got used to it. I am still a noob so I am learning much about MySQL but security would be a flaw but unless your website is on the top 10,000 website then I don't think people will spend their time trying to reek havoc on your website.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I use a combination of both. For all my custom coded software, I use a single database, with multiple tables. This is because I generally need to access quite often the database and manually edit stuff, so I don't want it to clog up. For all the third-party software I use on my websites, there is another database, using different prefixes for each. I don't mind clogging up the view in phpmyadmin since I seldom open that database.