Ageing A Photo in Photoshop CS3

coolv1994

Reaction score
Hello all x10 members, today I'm going to show how to age a photo in Photoshop CS3. I am going to show you how to make this: into this: .
  1. Open the photo.
  2. Duplicate the the background layer.
  3. Hide the original background layer.
  4. Desaturate the new layer. (Image > Ajustment > Desaturate)
  5. Add some color. (Image > Ajustment > Hue/Saturation)
    • Click the colorize box and drag the sliders so it gets a golden/brown color.
    • Click OK to apply change.
  6. Add a fill layer with a RGB mix colse to R=155; G=65; B=14.
  7. Use the soft edge brush to give the corners a rough edge.
  8. Set the opacity to somewhere in the 30's.
  9. Select the background copy and add some noise. (Filter > Noise > Add Noise) Then check the monochromatic box to avoid changing the photo's color.
  10. Save and print you photo.
* You can download some more brushes from www.photoshopbrushes.com

Last edited:

tittat

Reaction score
Nice tutorial.......
but i am looking for some reverse process..... just like i have an old photo and i want to make it look new.....

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
Nice tutorial.......
but i am looking for some reverse process..... just like i have an old photo and i want to make it look new.....
I don't think that is possible unless you were to edit each pixel to the correct color.

Very nice tutorial. I use Photoimpact which seems to be alot easier at doing this.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
you could use auto balance and auto contrast to restore some of it, I remember doing a project like this and to add in color I had to make a new layer and set it to color, and paint with the brush

freecrm

Reaction score
An easier way to adjust the colour would be to add an adjustment layer and play with the colour on that - this does the same as adding a new layer but simpler.

In addition, I believe that there is a sepia filter in PS CS3 which will do this job for you.

I like the rest though! :)

kkenny

Reaction score
Pretty cool, I'll try combining this with my vintage effect to make something nice for my friend :p

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
Are the images still working? I only can see the first one. Please fix image links unless I am the only one having the problem..