Are Arcades Dying?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gman11234, Oct 13, 2009.

Do you think that the arcade is a dying institution?

1. Yes - I Think The Arcade Is Slowly Dying

23 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. No - I Think The Arcade Is Alive And Well

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. gman11234

gman11234 New Member

I have to admit. In this day and age, it's hard to find a good arcade these days. I used to have one a block away from my house. It's been 8 years now since the place shut down and I miss going out with my friends and playing video games the way they should be played, in the arcades.

I just want to know, did the home consoles get too good? Did the console wars really cut in to the arcades profit? What is your opinion?

Me, I think that the arcade is a dead institution that we can officially blame on the consoles for the lack of support over the years. :dunno:

2. Smith6612

Smith6612 I ate all of the x10Pizza Community Support

In my area, arcades are pretty much dead. Hard to come across them except for those small ones in restaurants or the larger ones in the mall. Whenever I do see an arcade I don't mind taking out a 5 dollar bill to play some games there.

3. adamparkzer

adamparkzer On Extended Leave

I haven't been to an arcade since when I was little and went to Chuckie Cheese (if you even consider than an arcade). I'm not really much of a gamer at all anyway, but when I do play games, it's usually on the computer at home in the convenience of my home.

4. gman11234

gman11234 New Member

It's a sad thing really. When the Xbox first came out, it was officially the end of arcades as we knew them. It's hard when consoles under cut the bottom lines of the "Mom & Pop" arcades. :thefinger

It's a fact that without the arcades, there would be no consoles. :happysad:

5. SniperFox

SniperFox Member

Arcades started dying in the 90's, when the consoles were starting to be able to handle arcade titles properly.

However, NOW, they are REALLY dying...even pinball tables are being stopped. PINBALL. The most classic of arcade games, is starting to go away :(.

Japan, however, still has a very strong arcade community.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  6. elfuego2

elfuego2 New Member

Im in Mexico, and the ARCADES are still strong

7. skai123

skai123 Member

I think it was before the xbox when it was "officially the end of the arcades"

8. Spartan Erik

Spartan Erik Retired

Yep arcades are dying.. I think there's only one or two left in Austin (the most popular, Einstein's, closed a couple years ago).

Only place you'll find arcade-like systems are in movie theaters probably..

9. master257

master257 New Member

Only arcades we have in my area are in like the front of movie theaters so... yeah they are pretty much dead we had an awsome one in one of the malls around here but they went out of buisness so.

10. fractalfeline

fractalfeline New Member

WHAT?!?! Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIP Einstein's. Such fond memories there. :(

11. boris333

boris333 New Member

Both of the arcades in my town shut down a few years ago, as did the sole cybercafe.

Since I see this happening quite often in other areas, I would say that yes, arcades and their ilk are slowly dying off.

The big question becomes 'why?' I believe that there are several reasons:

1. The bad economy: arcade trips are a novelty item, and in tough economic times, novelty expenditures are usually the first to be cut.

2. The proliferation of cheap computers: with it becoming easier and cheaper to get a capable desktop or laptop, more people can enjoy gaming from their home.

3. The explosion of online gaming: online gaming has become very big in the last few years, so more children are staying at their computers rather than walking to the local arcades.

4. Lack of real diversity amongst arcade games: When you boil it down, most arcade games tend to be very similar to one another. Largely this is the result of the harsh reality that arcade machines are comparatively primitive compared to modern personal computers. As a result, there is little room or incentive to do something revolutionary with arcade games.

12. Mr. DOS

Mr. DOS Member

FTFY.

I would agree that arcade games are dying, though; however, I think the reason is more inconvenience, as you indicated in point 3: kids, and people in general, are lazy, and will avoid walking to get something when they can get a comparable experience at home. To tie into point 2, arcade machines these days don't offer much that home computers and consoles can't. Even worse, they appear to cost more because you have to shovel change into them relatively frequently, as opposed to computer or console games which require a far higher initial payout but once you've got it, it's technically free to play.

--- Mr. DOS

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  13. p0qnt

p0qnt New Member

The only arcades around here that say open are attached to theaters or bars. Which makes sense. There are actually quite a few.

14. gman11234

gman11234 New Member

I also think that, with the advent of newer video game consoles, is that the arcade experience is and always will be better at home. Better software production and better hardware made on the cheep. All the other reasons, which are above, are very valid points as well.

15. opal-london

opal-london New Member

Gauntlet! I used to lvoe that game..

16. siryjm

siryjm New Member

they are as dead as they get

17. Zenax

Zenax Active Member

i think one of the reasons is the fact that the price of playing the games are going up. I remember when *in uk* you play an arcade for 20p or 50p. now you have to pay up to £2 a go (per player) which i think is why people have stopped playing them

18. joe.seiky

joe.seiky New Member

I love arcade games

19. p0qnt

p0qnt New Member

I think the future of arcades is more about how they started. Built around something else. We have many restaurants designed around them.