ASP Support

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
__z|x__ said:
Ok, Corey said that to enable ASP, he needs to receive a PM from 5 members saying that they want it. So, who all are willing to PM him?

I'll PM him right now

kryptonyte

Reaction score
Make it 2. If you PM him, blong4life does and I do thats 3 down and 2 to go.

__z|x__

Reaction score
kryptonyte said:
Make it 2. If you PM him, blong4life does and I do thats 3 down and 2 to go.
You are right.

Come on guys, you'll be helping x10Hosting become great ;)

dpogary

Reaction score
wow ive never actually heard of ASP...i think ive seen it before but never actually looked at a code...i dont think any of my programmer friends use it...maybe 1 but i donno...what is ASP good for?:dunno:

__z|x__

Reaction score
dpogary said:
wow ive never actually heard of ASP...i think ive seen it before but never actually looked at a code...i dont think any of my programmer friends use it...maybe 1 but i donno...what is ASP good for?:dunno:
if ASP script could make something as good as http://www.iportalx.net, why not give it a try?

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
__z|x__ said:
if ASP script could make something as good as http://www.iportalx.net, why not give it a try?

"ASP does not expose HTTP variables as environment variables, which is the conventional approach in web server programming environments (because VBScript cannot access environment variables). Instead a 'Request object' is used, which makes code specific to ASP."

ASP is a good environment for web applications programming, but it offers no particular advantages over the alternatives that it is copied from, such as PHP, GNU Server Pages or the various forms of embedded Perl, such as the Apache::ASP Perl module for Apache. In fact, these alternatives are generally superior to ASP.

IMO, the cons outweigh the pros :drool:

__z|x__

Reaction score
Spartan Erik said:

"ASP does not expose HTTP variables as environment variables, which is the conventional approach in web server programming environments (because VBScript cannot access environment variables). Instead a 'Request object' is used, which makes code specific to ASP."

ASP is a good environment for web applications programming, but it offers no particular advantages over the alternatives that it is copied from, such as PHP, GNU Server Pages or the various forms of embedded Perl, such as the Apache::ASP Perl module for Apache. In fact, these alternatives are generally superior to ASP.

IMO, the cons outweigh the pros :drool:

Whatever you said up there went over my head.... could you speak "english"??

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Well, while we're on the topic of installing stuff...

I demand that you install Python!

I know I'd probably be the only one using it, but I doubt many people are going to be using ASP either.

So if you install this horrible ASP mess, you also must install Python, or I shall kill you.

Apache/Python Integration

Last edited:

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
Koshimi said:
Well, while we're on the topic of installing stuff...

I demand that you install Python!

I know I'd probably be the only one using it, but I doubt many people are going to be using ASP either.

So if you install this horrible ASP mess, you also must install Python, or I shall kill you.

Well then, do it like we had to. Have 5 PPL PM Corey, then let him decide weather he wants to install it or not. :nuts:

Earth KING

Reaction score
I PMd him...I'm only making a site once i know if there is asp support or i have to use php.

Richard

Reaction score
As far as python goes you can use it already in .cgi form (I think mod_python can be arranged if needed)

You can just use the python shebang
#!/usr/bin/python

As far as ASP is concerned there are two types ASP and ASP.net

ASP is very limited there are about 5 classes that control everything so its rather limited.
ASP.net is the the level that php is on the way to use .net in linux is to use the Mono Project

Finaly the way a program looks is not set by the language that is used to build it. Besides iportalx uses tables for content :eek: ;)

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
Richard said:
Finaly the way a program looks is not set by the language that is used to build it. Besides iportalx uses tables for content :eek: ;)

EWWWW! Tables! Yuck! Richard is right, the fact that iportalx's menus look nice really has nothing to do with the fact that it uses ASP. It is the HTML, Javascript and CSS that control the way a page looks. ASP, like PHP, controls how the content is generated.

I for one, moved to x10 from a free ASP host because ASP is so powerless compared to PHP. Besides, PHP can do so many things so much more easily than ASP. Want an example, try parsing an XML file in PHP and doing the same thing in ASP. Then check how many lines of code you needed and you'll see what I mean.

Corey, if you do enable it, be sure it is ASP.NET and not ASP. I might use ASP.NET for a class I'm taking in the spring.

Last edited:

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
The_Magistrate said:
EWWWW! Tables! Yuck! Richard is right, the fact that iportalx's menus look nice really has the fact that it uses ASP. It is the HTML, Javascript and CSS that control the way a page looks. ASP, like PHP, controls how the content is generated.

I for one, moved to x10 from a free ASP host because ASP is so powerless compared to PHP. Besides, PHP can do so many things so much more easily than ASP. Want an example, try parsing an XML file in PHP and doing the same thing in ASP. Then check how many lines of code you needed and you'll see what I mean.

Corey, if you do enable it, be sure it is ASP.NET and not ASP. I might use ASP.NET for a class I'm taking in the spring.

There is no ASP.NET mod for a linux server. Microsoft doen't support linux, so a module were you have to have ASP.NET installed won't work. Unless they wanted to try ASP.NET with wine and then enable it but it would be a resource sucker.:happysad:

The only reason ASP works under linux is because of perl. There are three versions of ASP, J-Script, VB-Script, and Perl-Script. Because you use the perl-script version on a server, not all scripts will work because perl script is way different than J and VB script.

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
blong4life said:
There is no ASP.NET mod for a linux server. Microsoft doen't support linux, so a module were you have to have ASP.NET installed won't work. Unless they wanted to try ASP.NET with wine and then enable it but it would be a resource sucker.:happysad:

The only reason ASP works under linux is because of perl. There are three versions of ASP, J-Script, VB-Script, and Perl-Script. Because you use the perl-script version on a server, not all scripts will work because perl script is way different than J and VB script.

Check http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page, which Richard posted previously. It has support for ASP.NET under several platforms other than Windows.

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
The_Magistrate said:
Check http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page, which Richard posted previously. It has support for ASP.NET under several platforms other than Windows.

Sounds like an API, not a web scripting language. Is there more information about running this on a web server???