Best free forum software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyline GTR 1388

Reaction score
Hey I want to know what does everyone think the best forum software is? I have IPB 1.3.1 final on my site but I want to know if there is anything better that is for free. Thanks

chaganlal1

Reaction score
I like PhpBB but I also do like IPB's secutiry features. The best Free one would be SMF or PhpBB.

Flashgear

Reaction score
spartan, vB is the most commonly used. heheh

i dont like smfs layout, phpbb is ok, but there are plenty of free forum software that you have never heard off but are good.

Torch

Reaction score
Not so popular but very good free forums are XMB, WBBLite, Bm Forum and IceBB.

But in my opinion THE best free forum is SMF. It has almost all features that costly vB and IPB have, it's very secure, easily modifiable, and only free forum so far that has some AJAX goodness implemented by default :)

Flashgear

Reaction score
i browsed a smf board and i didnt really like it.

@ torch, im in your sigj lol :drool:

Torch

Reaction score
Flashgear said:
i browsed a smf board and i didnt really like it.
Well, that's your opinion.

But when I'm trying out a forum, I don't judge it by looks and feel at all, only and just by features and functionality. Because template is the thing that can be easly customized to anything you wish, but code that drives forum requires much, much more time and brainwork.

Last edited:

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Personally I don't think SMF looks too bad: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/

And if you don't like that then there's still plenty of skins to change the look. People who didn't like the old default style of the 1.0.x series usually like the new one of the 1.1 RC2 version.

SMF beats phpBB in security and features. Right now, it's even better than phpBB 3 (Olympus)

Although PunBB is a good, basic forum that doesn't use up a lot of resources, and renders XHTML 1.0 Strict valid pages quickly with a low amount of queries. It's fast loading, and only comes with the bare minimum features but there are a lot of mods for it.

Master Yoda

Reaction score
phpBB and MyBB are the best in my opinion. Mybb are going to release a whole new version with added feature in the next few months as are phpBB (which I'm testing it at the moment).

I can setup a second phpbb3 forum for users around here if they want to use it and have a look at it ;)

Flashgear

Reaction score
any forum software is free if u looked hard enough :p
so id say ipb

hungle103

Reaction score
Skyline GTR 1388 said:
Hey I want to know what does everyone think the best forum software is? I have IPB 1.3.1 final on my site but I want to know if there is anything better that is for free. Thanks

accually , IPB 2.0.0 final is a free Version now , and as i know it's the last one IPB free :biggrin:
here the link if you want it -- and you should register on their forum for their support :d

Last edited by a moderator:

k12onos

Reaction score
hungle103 said:
accually , IPB 2.0.0 final is a free Version now , and as i know it's the last one IPB free :biggrin:
here the link if you want it -- and you should register on their forum for their support :d
is it really free ? is there any restriction ?

hope its legal :p coz didnt find any of that in the official site. lets try it.

Master Yoda

Reaction score
hungle103 said:

Incorrect, that would be a trial version as Invision Power Board v1.3 was the LAST FREE VERSION EVER RELEASED. Anything else after 1.3 claiming to be free is FALSE and INCORRECT.

k12onos

Reaction score
Master Yoda said:
Incorrect, that would be a trial version as Invision Power Board v1.3 was the LAST FREE VERSION EVER RELEASED. Anything else after 1.3 claiming to be free is FALSE and INCORRECT.
ow, thats bad news.

anyway. can you post the link to get IPB trial verrsion ? i've been searching for it in the official website but cant found it. maybe i miss something. please tell me if you know.

hungle103

Reaction score
Master Yoda said:

yes, it is legally !!! you can find that info in their forum http://forums.invisionpower.com and as you known if it is not free and you still can installed it that mean it must be nulled ... but the one i gave him above it's not a nulled version.

Last edited:

Torch

Reaction score
I recently discovered another awesome free forum soft.. K4.
It has many features, looks great and it's under constant development:

http://k4bb.org

Jacob

Reaction score
hungle103 said:
yes, it is legally !!! you can find that info in their forum http://forums.invisionpower.com and as you known if it is not free and you still can installed it that mean it must be nulled ... but the one i gave him above it's not a nulled version.
Unless you can give me a link to the direct quote where it says it's free, I'm going to take the link down.

Status
Not open for further replies.