Best Video format for dvd's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theotherside

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I make movies for a hobby, and thats actually what my x10 site is about! I was wondering what the best dvd video format is. AVI isn't that good, because it compresses the audio, and video when writing to a dvd. I have used Xvid, but it is illegal, and the watermark is annoying. Does anyone know of a good one, preferable without a watermark. Thanks!
-The Other Side

havoc

Reaction score
Theotherside said:
Hello everyone. I make movies for a hobby, and thats actually what my x10 site is about! I was wondering what the best dvd video format is. AVI isn't that good, because it compresses the audio, and video when writing to a dvd. I have used Xvid, but it is illegal, and the watermark is annoying. Does anyone know of a good one, preferable without a watermark. Thanks!
-The Other Side
http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

Scroll down to the section on Video File Comparison.

nightscream

Reaction score
dvd video format isn't that .vbo or something
I use nero vision i think to convert it to .vbo

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
nightscream said:
dvd video format isn't that .vbo or something
I use nero vision i think to convert it to .vbo

.VOB I believe, but he is talking about converting normal movie formats (.avi's, .wmv's, .mpeg's, etc) to a DVD format.

My experience with .avi's is pretty good.. the only noticeable pixelation occurs during pitch black scenes.. and maybe if you have a really good TV (I have an old boxy CRT so all the movies I convert from .avi to DVD look perfect)

nightscream

Reaction score
Spartan Erik said:
.VOB I believe, but he is talking about converting normal movie formats (.avi's, .wmv's, .mpeg's, etc) to a DVD format.

My experience with .avi's is pretty good.. the only noticeable pixelation occurs during pitch black scenes.. and maybe if you have a really good TV (I have an old boxy CRT so all the movies I convert from .avi to DVD look perfect)
thanks for correcting me

Theotherside

Reaction score
Okay, thanks! I'll definently ldo that. The only prob with AVI's is that they are such a big file, and I generally have a lot of content on a dvd :(
-The Other Side

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Theotherside said:
Okay, thanks! I'll definently ldo that. The only prob with AVI's is that they are such a big file, and I generally have a lot of content on a dvd :(
-The Other Side

Well think of it like this; a 700 MB .avi file will expand to a bit more than 1 GB file (if you want the conversion to DVD format the best quality available)

Status
Not open for further replies.