Can I send a DMCA to have my personal information removed because I have not owned this domain name

jfrancis79

Prime Account
Reaction score
There is a website that I used to own about six (6) or more years, six years ago I let the domain name expire and after the domain name expired it has not been resisted every since so basically no one has owned it for six or more years.

Theirs is a website that gets information from the whois database and shows other information about the domain name which is fine, however when I click on the “update” link it does not work witch if it worked it would blank the information or just remove it from their database altogether since the domain name is not resisted. I have sent them multiple e-mails telling them about when I click on the update link does not work, I no longer own this domain name please update or remove this URL from your database and have not gotten anything back from them. So I’m not sure what can I do at this point. I am thinking of sending them a DMCA notice make them legally remove this URL that has my personal information and if that does not work send it to the company who is hosting their website.

So can I send a DMCA to have my personal information removed because I have not owned this domain name?

Please do not report this thread, please remove this one https://x10hosting.com/community/th...ause-i-have-not-owned-this-domain-name.196867, it was posted twice.

Last edited:

caftpx10

Reaction score
You'll need to talk either to your registrar or domain name registry about this. I believe that you can prove ownership in many ways with what's currently there, which could be the email (if there is one associated and still used).

AngusThermopyle

Reaction score
If you are talking about one of the sites that scrapes WHOIS information and then posts the "history" of the domain, I'm not sure what you can do legally.
At least one has a working "remove this info" system (I just used it to remove an old entry from before I started using privacy registration").
If their removal system is broken and they don't respond to emails, sending them a DMCA won't do anything (you do not have a copyright to your information -- it was a public record). Doubt if contacting their hosting provider will help much either.

jfrancis79

Prime Account
Reaction score
If you are talking about one of the sites that scrapes WHOIS information and then posts the "history" of the domain, I'm not sure what you can do legally.
At least one has a working "remove this info" system (I just used it to remove an old entry from before I started using privacy registration").
If their removal system is broken and they don't respond to emails, sending them a DMCA won't do anything (you do not have a copyright to your information -- it was a public record). Doubt if contacting their hosting provider will help much either.

Yes I am talking about on website who scrapes WHOIS information and then posts the "history" of the domain along with other information about the domain name. So basically I'm screwed? So how can I get it removed?

caftpx10

Reaction score
From what I've seen, you would need to pay for its removal..

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
In any case, DMCA would have nothing for you, since you don't hold copyright on the information. You may have some civil recourse under privacy laws, depending on where the site lives, but you have no intellectual property rights to work with.