Chrome OS download

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
There's a VM version of ChromeOS available at http://gdgt.com/google/chrome-os/download/ already!

The VMware image works fine in VirtualBox.

From my first impressions, this has not lived up at all to the ideas people had of what it would be. Seems to simple.

Last edited:

Danielx386

Reaction score
Hmmm, how would you compare this to other linux OS? Is this going to be a killer OS?

For now, i'm sticking with Ubuntu and Windows 7

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
It depends. For netbooks this would probably be nice because it boots fairly quickly and is just a web browser.
For any other purposes, I don't think it'll be very good. Only use I can think of is a way to really quickly access the internet but you'd still want another OS that can do more.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
It depends. For netbooks this would probably be nice because it boots fairly quickly and is just a web browser.
For any other purposes, I don't think it'll be very good. Only use I can think of is a way to really quickly access the internet but you'd still want another OS that can do more.
The thing is Google is working to reimplement all software as web services, so that you don't need a full OS, i.e. turn your pc into a light client, with the browser as your work environment. Look at Google Docs for example. The reason Google implemented their own Javascript engine in Chromium/Chrome is to have a good platform for running their services.

Also, BTW: this isn't the ready product. You might want to read this. Google are simply following the bazaar model of Open Source software development, where one mantra is "release early, release often" -- this is the first opening up of deelopment, which means a lot will still happen. I wouldn't be surprised if something powerful comes out at the end.

On a side note, I find it rather curious how with Chrome OS, despite its basing on Linux, isn't jsut called Linux, whereas with other systems such as GNU/Linux, people call it Linux (despite that being only the Kernel, i.e. 1% of the code). Just shows how some people don't have too much of a clue of what's what.

nmfcom

Reaction score
I think "too simple" is what Google wanted. Google apps integrated to Chrome OS, to top it off with over 7gig of data space and you basically have an office workstation environment based on a very fast version of Linux.

However, it's really not for those who operate websites and servers :p.