CPU Underclocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
whyareyoulookingatmyfilename.jpg

As you can see I've got a 2.33 GHz Core2Duo, but below it it says 1.98 GHz.. any ideas what that means? Is it underclocked? If so, is it a BIOS setting to set it back to its normal clock speed?

Loneua Technologies

Reaction score
Go into bios and change the power saving feature off.

If you are in Media Center, look at your processes for anything that could

underclock it. That is power saving techniques. Look at CPU-Z and you will

see it change. There are programs out there that force it to stay at 2.33.

My laptop is 2.0x2 but is sometimes at 1.0x2.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Power saving? I'm on a desktop, not a laptop.. unless desktops have a power save feature other than turning off the monitor and/or hard disks

HomerJ

Reaction score
Power saving? I'm on a desktop, not a laptop.. unless desktops have a power save feature other than turning off the monitor and/or hard disks

You could do power-saving on a desktop, but you likely aren't.

It could a FSB mismatch. That is to say the motherboard can only handle a certain frequency Front Side Bus and the processor requires a higher one. For example, you have a processor with a 1333MHz FSB, maybe the motherboard only has up to 1066MHz. Just a possibily.

iholla

Reaction score
Like written above it could be a hardware mismatch. FSB could be your main culprit. In this case nothing much you can do apart from changing motherboard. However for such a small gain in cpu speed, I think its not worth it.

Alternatively, if you really want the 2.33 get into your bios and see if you can over-clock your current cpu settings to at least that which you want. During over-clocking do not forget to check your over-heating settings. Just tweak it up a notch or two. Usually a light increase in voltage feed can give you the clock speeds you are looking for.

intenex

Reaction score
I have a similar question (not really). What exactly uses RAM permanently? My PC comes with 3 gigs of RAM (3072 megs), but only 2942 megs remain. Why is this?

______

BlackQuantum

Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG

Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
BlackQuantum.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG

Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG

Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG

warlordste

Reaction score
ur os?
Edit:
and btw becareful if u over clock it could course ur processor to overheat

Last edited:

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
I have a similar question (not really). What exactly uses RAM permanently? My PC comes with 3 gigs of RAM (3072 megs), but only 2942 megs remain. Why is this?
The missing memory is dedicated to video memory.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
The memory itself is going to be used by loads of things, from programs to the operating system, to video caching. About your processor, Dells, unless there is some power setting in the system settings/BIOS that will slow the processor down, don't allow you to underclock your processor or overclock them, unless you have one of their expensive XPS systems. Also, if you are on a laptop, running your system off of a battery will cause the laptop to slow itself down to chew up less power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.